PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new anti virus

gibbsy
06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi, my Norton Internet Security is about to run out in a little under than 2 weeks, so i'm thinking of replacing NIS with probably NOD32 Anti Virus, However unlike NIS it doesn't have a firewall, anti spyware / adware etc.
My router is a DSL G604T and i believe i've put max security on it.
So, If you think I should buy NOD32, what additional security programmes should I add to keep my Windows XP clean?

Cheers! :)

winmacguy
06-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Most users here wouldn't touch Norton's with a 40ft barge pole because it is a bloated resource hog. NOD32, AVG or AVAST both of which are FREE and very good. Comodo is also a good free firewall.

annie
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
A lot of people use a combination of free firewall, spyware protection and anti-virus. I used Norton for a few years, McAfee for a few more, and for the last 3 or 4 years have used ZoneAlarm Free firewall, Ad-aware and Spybot, both free, for spyware protection, and for a year or so have used AVG antivirus, also free. I've found the free stuff as easy, if not easier, to use than the suite I paid for, and it's at least as effective. I'd recommend going for the freebies.

FoxyMX
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
My anti-virus preference is Avast which comes in free as well as paid-for professional versions and with it I use Sygate firewall. That is sufficient for my browsing and computing habits but you can also install Spybot and SpywareBlaster, both of which will help prevent spyware installing on your computer. The former is also used to scan and clean any spyware that does get installed.

pctek
06-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I use Counterspy and RegDefend.

I install Spybot and AdAware and a 3rd party firewall.

chiefnz
06-07-2007, 11:18 PM
I use Trend PC-Cillin Internet Security myself, NOD is pretty dam good. I use Trend because I'm familiar with it and also because I can buy I package which caters for 3 users which is what I have at home... 1 desktop and 2 lappys.

The free offerings mentioned are pretty reliable as well though, you can't go wrong with them as long as you keep them updated and install adware and spyware proggies as well as a good firewall.

Cheers

PedalSlammer
06-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I've used a number of paid Anti-Virus myself, first was Norton, McAfee, AVG, and finally I'll stick with BitDefender for a long time.
Buy online with BitDefender with 2 years and for $50 NZD too. Cheap huh? Plus the updates are amazing. It updates more than 3 times a day if you use you PC for almost a day. I use AVG Free and can't pick up any Viruses on the system, and thanks to BitDefender it picks up a lot even no other AV scanner can pick it up i.e. Norton, McAfee, AVG Free.

winmacguy
07-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't need any antivirus on my main system:D

gibbsy
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbs:
I've just bought the NOD32 Anti Virus and ill probably go with the Comodo Fire wall + numerous anti-spyware programs
Cheers,
Gibbsy