PDA

View Full Version : Internet Options

Cato
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I will be moving to Auckland City soon and I will be needing a good internet connection. I wont getting a phone line because I never use it (so I guess xtra is out of the question). What would be my options? Whats the biggest bang for the buck for a poor student??

I will most probobly be moving again by the end of this year or the begining of the next, would that effect my contract in any way?

Thanks in advance,
Max

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, most ISPS need a phoneline. besides ISP that use Wireless - ie: Woosh.

Or Satellite, or whatever, if theyre still around.

stu161204
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I will be moving to Auckland City soon and I will be needing a good internet connection. I wont getting a phone line because I never use it (so I guess xtra is out of the question).

As Speedy said you will need a phone line to get Broadband, but in September you will be able to get Broadband with out a phone line see: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10449502&pnum=0

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Err I dont think thats what it means.

You'll still need a phone/line, you wont have to pay for the line rental.

beeswax34
06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Then it'll just be a one off payment thing so in the long run it shouldn't be a problem. I have Woosh and its OK but I would think very hard before buying it.

Cato
07-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Err I dont think thats what it means.

You'll still need a phone/line, you wont have to pay for the line rental.

That is what I mean. I guess every house/apartment should have a wiring to the exchange, right?
I dont see a reason why any ISP would require me to pay for a phone I dont use just for internet. So I am seeing it as: ~50$ for internet + ~50$ for a phone connections. That is way too expensive.

I remember in Austria we were able to get ADSL without needing to pay for a phone line since atleast 2003. And if telecom is introducing it NOW, they really need to get their act together for NZ to become on par with our european counter-parts.

winmacguy
07-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Come September you might get your wish.

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2007, 10:09 AM
That is what I mean. I guess every house/apartment should have a wiring to the exchange, right?

I know what its like. We've got 2 separate phone lines here.

We could have had BB by now, BUT my flatmate didnt want to give up her line. So, I got my own. It'd be good NOT to have this line.

It'll save me $43 a mth paying for it (even tho there's no phone on it), as it's just here so I can get on the net . And that fee is on top of Ihug's $28 a mth.

And recently ISP's have been sending me brochures etc to get onto broadband.

To pay for Home phone (you get charged $10 less, or $10 if u dont want this option).

I have no choice, I dont use a phone on my line, the modem is plugged directly into the phonejack. So, I'm not paying $10 extra, for something I dont have.

I spose I could go with Xnet, as it looks like this is the only ISP that doesnt worry about this Home Phone option.