PDA

View Full Version : no progs in add/remove programmes

04-03-2001, 08:00 PM
I have just reinstalled windows from DOS without reformatting my hard disk to overcome a restart problem. this problem has cleared, but the reinstall has all programs working correctly but none are listed in add/remove progs in control panel. Can anyone help me in getting add/remove progs to recognise my installed programmes? Cheers Geoff G.

05-03-2001, 11:53 AM
I'm no expert with this problem, so I can't guarantee this will work but you can try...

I belive Add / Remove Programs gets its info from the registry, so if your registry settings survived the reinstall, check out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall

There should be a folder for each program that used to show in Add/Remove Programs, and within each folder two values, DisplayName and UnInstall string. You will need to make an exact note of these values - paying special attention to spaces, dashes and quote marks etc.

Next you will need TweakUI installed. If you have a Windows 98 CD you can find it there, in \tools\reskit\powertoy, or you can get a copy off the net e.g. download.com.

(To install TweakUI, you need to right-click the .inf file and choose Install. There is no setup.exe, it will then appear as an icon in your Control Panel)

One of the folder tabs in TweakUI is Add/Remove, and it gives you the ability to add, delete and edit items in your Add/Remove Programs. You should be able to add the values back in that way.

I noticed that in my registry, some programs had values like QuietDisplayName and QuietUninstallString. These values don't appear in Add/Remove programs.