PDA

View Full Version : System slow down after installation of 250GB SATAII drive

chiefnz
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi guys,

Yesterday I bought a SATA + IDE RAID PCI card and a 250GB Seagate SATAII hard drive. Installed the drive, card and relevant drivers. This morning I cloned my original 120GB HDD to the new 250GB HDD. I rebooted and made the 250 drive the primary drive.

The thing is that the computer seems to be running slower now that I am booting off the 250. What I have done so far is connect both my old 120GB drives to the add-on card and connected the 250 directly to the mobo's SATA ports. This hasn't helped at all.

What I'm going to try next is remove the add-on card and see if that improves performance. I hope not cos I just spent good dosh on the bloody thing and it would really hack me off "losing" 120GB of space due to poor performance.

What do you guys think? Got any ideas?

Cheers

PaulD
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Have you confirmed that the OS is running from the 250 and not still from the 120? A sata port on the add in card won't be as fast as the on on the MB

chiefnz
06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Have you confirmed that the OS is running from the 250 and not still from the 120? A sata port on the add in card won't be as fast as the on on the MB

Yes OS is running off the 250, seems to have sorted itself out now, I moved the add-on card to another PCI slot and she seems to be going good now.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to fill nearly half a terabyte with :eek: :D :thumbs:

Cheers

PaulD
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Now I need to figure out what I'm going to fill nearly half a terabyte with :eek: :D :thumbs:

I was wondering whether to get a larger drive or just delete like crazy as I can't remember what most of it is :D

chiefnz
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I've just deleted 15GB of mp3's, I've got all the original CD's, didn't see the point in having them on the computer, I'm lucky if I listen to any of it through the week. They are all house music tracks, a sign of my ignorant mis-spent youth. I'm all grown up now, so I no longer see the point in holding on to them.

Cheers

chiefnz
08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Ok new problem... it would appear that now the SATA + IDE RAID PCI card is installed, I can only have one device attached to my mobo's IDE ports... that's one in total between the two IDE ports. I assume that is because of the new SATA + IDE RAID PCI card I installed and it has its own controller.

Does anyone know if the IDE feature on the add-on card can be disabled at all. I see there are 4 jumper pins, would these serve as to short out either the SATA or IDE functionality from the add-on card?

This is the card I have here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/469003d6017edda8273fc0a87f3306d8/Product/View/XH8269)

I haven't tried shorting out the jumper pins yet... just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this add-on card.

Incidentally, I'm trying to connect 2 x DVDRW drives and 1 CDRW drive + 3 x SATA drives, my mobo only supports 2 x mobo SATA connections.

Cheers

dugimodo
08-07-2007, 07:48 PM
you should be able to use both unless your system is running low on resources and there's a conflict.

Some pci slots share resources and some don't, I have a similar add in card in my machine and it wouldn't install or work at all until I changed slots - now it works fine.

I have:
2 DVD drives connected to MB IDE 1
1 IDE hdd connected to MB IDE 0
3 x SATA drives connected MB
1 x eSATA connector using 4th slot on MB
1 x SATA connected to add in card ( 3 ports left )

1 of the SATA's is the boot device - don't remember which. I did have an issue where I had to disconnect the IDE HDD before windows would install on the SATA but once installed it's fine.

all working fine, so it can work.

You could try disabling things you don't use in the BIOS to free up resources such as extra onboard USB / parallel / serial ports etc.

Also there is a way to show "hidden" installed devices in device manager ( you might have to google it because I don't remember how) because everytime you try to install something and it fails windows merrily stores it away and hides it from you so you can't uninstall it - for no reason I can understand. Although I don't think this would be your problem