PDA

View Full Version : Just Gotta Be A NZ PIx!

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 06:47 AM
The cars are all on the wrong side and the signs too...gotta be one of youse guys! :waughh:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/untitled.bmp

winmacguy
06-07-2007, 06:49 AM
That would be a Stop sign from NZ- The houses are kiwi style too. The car in the pic is a Holden Barina.

Myth
06-07-2007, 07:23 AM
That would be a Stop sign from NZ- The houses are kiwi style too. The car in the pic is a Holden Barina.I think the picture was taken because of the 'No Left Turn' and 'No Right Turn' signs, not the stop sign or the Holden Barina :p

winmacguy
06-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I think the picture was taken because of the 'No Left Turn' and 'No Right Turn' signs, not the stop sign or the Holden Barina :p

I gathered that, I was just making an observation.

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Anyone know where that intersection is?

winmacguy
06-07-2007, 07:34 AM
There are no specific landmarks like the Sky Tower, so unless a reader lives near there it is hard to tell.

winmacguy
06-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Judging by the Eycalyptus and what looks like a Pohutukawa by the house on the right I would say it looks like an Auckland street possibly west Auckland-Hillsborough-Titirangi way... Or it could be East Coast Bays on the north shore.
Pohutukawa are a coastal tree that don't like frost. The photo was taken during the summer.

pcuser42
06-07-2007, 08:07 AM
The cars are all on the wrong side and the signs too...gotta be one of youse guys! :waughh:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/untitled.bmp

You're on the wrong side of the road - not us! :p

netchicken
06-07-2007, 08:25 AM
omg that pic was 1.5meg!!

thats criminal...

bob_doe_nz
06-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Aint South Aucky. No dumped cars on the side.:rolleyes:

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
omg that pic was 1.5meg!!

thats criminal...

Well...at least I didn't send it jpeg this time!

I'm learning :thumbs:

Tomorrow I gotta go trout fishing practice in the local mountains....and breathe better air too.

winmacguy
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm learning :thumbs:

Tomorrow I gotta go trout fishing practice in the local mountains....and breathe better air too.

What size trout do you expect to catch SJ?

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Nothing too large..there were some 3 and 4 pounders taken last week...but that lake is shallow and I don't suspect the trout will be sticking around for much longer.

The bass will be running good in the early am and later toward dusk...I might stay for a while and play with them too. Ever get bit by a largemouth on a surface popper?

Kinda like a bear rips the thing down and it makes your knees very flexible...a good thrill to get that sortta action.

Love surface plugs and poppers.

Scouse
06-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Joe.
The cars are all on the wrong side and the signs too...gotta be one of youse guys Looks like you're right this time but a few other places also drive on the correct side of the road....
1. Anguilla
2. Antigua and Barbuda
3. Australia
4. Bahamas
5. Bangladesh
6. Barbados
7. Bermuda
8. Bhutan
9. Botswana
10. Brunei
11. Cayman Islands
12. Christmas Island (Australia)
13. Cook Islands
14. Cyprus
15. Dominica
16. East Timor
17. Falkland Islands
18. Fiji
19. Grenada
20. Guernsey (Channel Islands)
21. Guyana
22. Hong Kong
23. India
24. Indonesia
25. Ireland
26. Isle of Man
27. Jamaica
28. Japan
29. Jersey (Channel Islands)
30. Kenya
31. Kiribati
32. Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia)
33. Lesotho
34. Macau
35. Malawi
36. Malaysia
37. Maldives
38. Malta
39. Mauritius
40. Montserrat
41. Mozambique
42. Namibia
43. Nauru
44. Nepal
45. New Zealand
46. Niue
47. Norfolk Island (Australia)
48. Pakistan
49. Papua New Guinea
50. Pitcairn Islands (Britain)
51. Saint Helena
52. Saint Kitts and Nevis
53. Saint Lucia
54. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
55. Seychelles
56. Singapore
57. Solomon Islands
58. South Africa
59. Sri Lanka
60. Suriname
61. Swaziland
62. Tanzania
63. Thailand
64. Tokelau (New Zealand)
65. Tonga
66. Trinidad and Tobago
67. Turks and Caicos Islands
68. Tuvalu
69. Uganda
70. United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
71. Virgin Islands (British)
72. Virgin Islands (US)
73. Zambia
74. Zimbabwe

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi Joe.
The cars are all on the wrong side and the signs too...gotta be one of youse guys Looks like you're right this time but a few other places also drive on the correct side of the road....
1. Anguilla
to
74. Zimbabwe

yada-yada-yada...but, according to Wikipedia:

"............ About 34% of the world by population drive on the left, and 66% on the right. By roadway distances, about 28% drive on the left, and 72% on the right, even though originally most traffic drove on the left worldwide."

and.........

"........Approximately one quarter to one third of the world's traffic travels on the left-hand side of the road. Some claim that this practice arose from the prevalence of right-handedness, although such prevalence occurs in virtually all populations, regardless of which side of the road is used. In any case, the need to be ready for self-defence (see that! That's Brit-talk for Defense...so it's gotta be correct.....right? Your own mother-tonguers would not tell a fib! ) on rural roads inclined most horse-riders to keep to their left when encountering oncoming wayfarers, so as to be able to deploy a sword or other hand-weapon more swiftly and effectively should the need arise. Also, those on foot and in charge of horse-drawn vehicles would more usually hold the animals' heads with their right hand, and thus walk along the left hand side of the road.

The first legal reference in Britain to an order for traffic to remain on the left occurred in 1756 with regard to London Bridge. The Highway Act 1773 contained a recommendation that horse traffic should remain on the left and this is enshrined in section 78 of the Highway Act 1835.

The British author C. Northcote Parkinson has presented what he calls "proof" that the British way of driving (on the left side of the road) is the natural one.

"It is commonly asserted that left-hand traffic is a singularly British custom, the corollary being that the rest of the world "naturally" keeps to the right when meeting. The historical record suggests otherwise. (See "Places of Interest" section below.) Prior to World War I, countries observing the left-hand rule included parts of Canada, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, parts of Austria, Sweden, Iceland, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, parts of Brazil, parts of Chile, parts of Italy, China, the Philippines, and Burma. Italy changed with unification, Austria and Czechoslovakia when Adolf Hitler annexed or occupied them, the Latin American countries by 1945, the Philippines and China in 1946 (leaving Hong Kong and Macau isolated), and Burma/Myanmar in 1970 on the advice of a soothsayer."

Some Commonwealth of Nations countries and other former British colonies — notably Hong Kong — continue to drive on the left, but others, such as Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and the United States switched to the other side.

Apart from former British colonies, most countries' traffic now moves on the right hand side. Exceptions are Indonesia, Suriname, Japan, Thailand, Mozambique, East Timor, Macau, and the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Guess that makes youse guys still a British Colony........

roddy_boy
06-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Why would you use .bmp rather than jpeg?

SurferJoe46
07-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Errr...smaller files?

pcuser42
07-07-2007, 08:13 AM
jpeg is smaller, bmp is HUGE! IIRC the bliss.bmp that comes with XP is 1.6MB, and when converted to JPEG, is about 50KB.

george12
07-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey SurferJoe

Do people in the US walk on the right as well? Say, in a stairway?

Scouse
08-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Do people in the US walk on the right as well? Say, in a stairway? The Germans certainly seem to do so.... try walking on the Abel Tasman track in the summer. The oncoming bastards walk right over the top of you if you try to keep to the left.

SurferJoe46
08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey SurferJoe

Do people in the US walk on the right as well? Say, in a stairway?

I wasn't too sure of the correct answer here, so I went out and walked through the Hemet Mall for a nonce.

Yup! They seem to adhere to the right side like drivers do..but that may be from the fact that everybody here in Hemet has a license..even the crochitty old blind, deaf, mental retards with Alzheimer's disease and are crippled in both legs on a cell phone.

You can see them driving with the driver's window open and a white-tipped can out the car trying to feel the lines on the road.

Yup...the only difference is that pedestrians don't walk with their left turn signals blinking ad infinitum!

BTW: "crochitty " won't run in my US Spell-Checker..how's it work in Brit-Speak?
NZ-Speak?
Aus-Speak?

feersumendjinn
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
crotch·et·y /ˈkrɒtʃɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kroch-i-tee]
–adjective 1. given to odd notions, whims, grouchiness, etc.
2. of the nature of a crotchet.
NZ-speak :rolleyes: :)
Old b.st.rd wearing a hat (in the car).

Sweep
08-07-2007, 04:20 PM
yada-yada-yada...but, according to Wikipedia:

"............ About 34% of the world by population drive on the left, and 66% on the right. By roadway distances, about 28% drive on the left, and 72% on the right, even though originally most traffic drove on the left worldwide."

and.........

"........Approximately one quarter to one third of the world's traffic travels on the left-hand side of the road. Some claim that this practice arose from the prevalence of right-handedness, although such prevalence occurs in virtually all populations, regardless of which side of the road is used. In any case, the need to be ready for self-defence (see that! That's Brit-talk for Defense...so it's gotta be correct.....right? Your own mother-tonguers would not tell a fib! ) on rural roads inclined most horse-riders to keep to their left when encountering oncoming wayfarers, so as to be able to deploy a sword or other hand-weapon more swiftly and effectively should the need arise. Also, those on foot and in charge of horse-drawn vehicles would more usually hold the animals' heads with their right hand, and thus walk along the left hand side of the road.

The first legal reference in Britain to an order for traffic to remain on the left occurred in 1756 with regard to London Bridge. The Highway Act 1773 contained a recommendation that horse traffic should remain on the left and this is enshrined in section 78 of the Highway Act 1835.

The British author C. Northcote Parkinson has presented what he calls "proof" that the British way of driving (on the left side of the road) is the natural one.

"It is commonly asserted that left-hand traffic is a singularly British custom, the corollary being that the rest of the world "naturally" keeps to the right when meeting. The historical record suggests otherwise. (See "Places of Interest" section below.) Prior to World War I, countries observing the left-hand rule included parts of Canada, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, parts of Austria, Sweden, Iceland, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, parts of Brazil, parts of Chile, parts of Italy, China, the Philippines, and Burma. Italy changed with unification, Austria and Czechoslovakia when Adolf Hitler annexed or occupied them, the Latin American countries by 1945, the Philippines and China in 1946 (leaving Hong Kong and Macau isolated), and Burma/Myanmar in 1970 on the advice of a soothsayer."

Some Commonwealth of Nations countries and other former British colonies — notably Hong Kong — continue to drive on the left, but others, such as Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and the United States switched to the other side.

Apart from former British colonies, most countries' traffic now moves on the right hand side. Exceptions are Indonesia, Suriname, Japan, Thailand, Mozambique, East Timor, Macau, and the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Guess that makes youse guys still a British Colony........

And some people here in NZ insist on crossing the centre line. This, sometimes, makes them DEAD. Sadly they may take others with them.

The right side of the road to me means the left side or correct side!