PDA

View Full Version : Transfering recorded content from DvD recorder

supersi
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I've gone out and bought a DvD recorder with a 160GB hard drive.
I would like to transfer off the recorded content to my PC.
Is this possible?

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Depends if its got USB 2 or a firewire port on it??

If it does you should be able to. All you need is a firewire card if it has firewire.

winmacguy
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Firewire would be preferable for video transfer.

CYaBro
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Some of the more expensive models have an ethernet port on them which allows you to do this.

Otherwise the only other option is to burn it to a DVDRW and put this in the computer.
Or if your PC has a TV card in it you could capture in real time from the DVD recorder

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Some of the more expensive models have an ethernet port on them which allows you to do this.

Otherwise the only other option is to burn it to a DVDRW and put this in the computer.
Or if your PC has a TV card in it you could capture in real time from the DVD recorder

OK..I tried that myself..got the Hauppauge Win2000 with S- and the colored RCAs and all...and it never works...

Can you elaborate on the correct way to do that?

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Well what kind of connectors DOES the DVD recorder have??

If its got S-video connect it to video in/s-video on the tuner.

Hopefully, the tuner came with software. If it did, run it, change the recording input to s-video (in the tuner software), turn the DVD recorder on, and u SHOULD get the signal from the DVD recorder. Play whatever.

Dont forget to connect audio out to line in (you may need a RCA - 3.5 mm adapter), Or else u wont get sound as well.

Change the recording sound bit in the SW to line in.

Then record.

CYaBro
06-07-2007, 09:41 AM
OK..I tried that myself..got the Hauppauge Win2000 with S- and the colored RCAs and all...and it never works...

Can you elaborate on the correct way to do that?

I have a Hauppauge PVR500MCE and it has S-video and rca inputs for video and also rca inputs for the audio.
I just connected the s-video and red & white rca's to the outputs on my DVD recorder and the other ends into the TV card.
Started up Mediaportal (Free media centre software), selected the correct AV input, (the pvr500 has 2 av inputs) started playing back a recording on the DVD recorder and the picture and sound come through in mediaportal.
Then I can just hit record in Mediaportal and it starts creating an MPEG2 file.

The great thing with Mediaportal is the server/client setup so I can now go to any PC in the house and run the mediaportal client and can see the dvd recorder output!

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Goodie...the weekend's coming and I'll give that a try..

Last time I tried it, I had a real muck-up with the Hauppage drivers...and it seems that the very first time in put the card in and let Windows install the drivers, it worked a charm...then the next time, I used the web site for Hauppauge and it hasn't worked at all since.

Gonna try to get rid of all the on site Hauppauge drivers and give it another pnp or wizard install and see if it works OK or not.

supersi
07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
OK, my Philips DVDR3455H DvD recorder has a USB port on the front, on the back it has video & Audio out as well as coaxial digital audio.
Can I simply copy files from the DvD recorder hard drive over a USB cable? Will my PC see the DvD recorder hard drive?

or do I have to have a TV card on my PC recording content played over AV out cables to a TV card on my PC?

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
On one site, it says the USB port is for a memory card reader?

So, connecting that to a PC may do nothing. You could try it see what happens.

Or u may have to find another way of transferring whats on it.

Zippity
09-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Up until last Friday, I used the coaxial arial cable connection but having upgraded to a Sony Bravia 40" LCD and Sony DVD Recorder, I made up an RCA Cable and connected it to my PC as suggested by CYaBro - it worked a treat :)

No more burning direct to a DVD from the DVD Recorder then downloading onto my PC's HDD to edit out the ads etc etc :D

Bantu
09-07-2007, 05:48 PM
The USB is for plugging in USB devices HDD's not supported. Firewire is for plugging in likes of a Camera.

Use the RCA output sockets and/or S-Video into a capture device on your PC