PDA

View Full Version : PC Battery

stingray
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
How long do the battery on the motherboard last for?

msnforum
03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Just a coincidence, my motherboard's battery died last week and I've got it swapped with a old battery found on a old motherboard. Mine lasted 4 years, I heard it should last for about 10 years.

feersumendjinn
03-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Five years according to this:
http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosbattery.asp

Agent_24
04-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah it's usually a few years, depends on the quality of the battery

Graham L
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
The cell life is defined as: however long that particular cell lasts. You should get "shelf life" in this application. Some cells are better than others; some cells have spent more time on the shop's shelf than others.

rogerp
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM

It should outlast the life of the computer. I would say in excess of 10 years based on my computers, as I have never changed one. Cheaper computers may differ.

Shortcircuit
05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
They are the same as batteries in some digital watches (like Casio G-Shocks etc), a long life lithium CR2050 or similar. You should get at least 5 years and possibly 10 years on a motherboard.

Graham L
05-07-2007, 06:29 PM
They last as long as they last. If they die, replace them. It's not a big deal.

I didn't like the "integrated" BIOS/clock/battery packages. Especially the ones soldered to the motherboard. I didn't like the $40 lithium battery packs. 2032 button cells are cheap enough that it doesn't really matter if one doesn't last as long as it "should" have.

FoxyMX
05-07-2007, 10:32 PM
It should outlast the life of the computer. I would say in excess of 10 years based on my computers, as I have never changed one. Cheaper computers may differ.

My oldest PC here that was born in 1998 has had one battery change and is showing signs of requiring another. My outlaw father's PC has had two battery changes and that's only 7 years old. Neither were "cheap" PCs.

Seems like you've had a good run with yours.

Sweep
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Anything lasts for as long as it lasts.

How long will you live for example? Driving on the right in New Zealand will almost certainly reduce your live time.

So will certain drugs as well.

Moving to Iraq will not help either I feel.

Just my ideas.

Is there a reason for changing a motherboard battery?
If so then why?

SurferJoe46
06-07-2007, 04:30 AM
I've got some old Dell Dimension 500s here that were old when I got them with what I believe could be original batteries, and once in a while I fire one up and they all seem to be OK...I HAVE however, had to change the battery in the SOYO a few times ...like every 8 to 10 months so far.

I think it just depends on what you ask the battery to do..maybe the SOYO needs more to keep alive and therefor dies an untimely death.

Might also be brands too...those made in Woolongong or Putinibblisodunk might not be as good as ones from Japan.