PDA

View Full Version : Stepson's iPod Question

SurferJoe46
03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a different MP3 player (Sansa by Sandisk), and he has an ugly purple iPod.

Can I add WMP files to it for him to play?

Will that thing actually take .wma files or do I have to convert them to something else?

Do I need to add anything else to my WMP10 to synch?

Synch works well with my Sansa.

winmacguy
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
You need to convert your wma files to mp3 or aac as long as they are not DRMd. iTunes will import and convert wma files on the fly. In designer or female circles the purple iPod would be considered cute and stylish (probably why so many girls own them;)) The video files need to be converted in iTunes to play on the iPod and wmp won't play. only mp4 files afaik.
SurferJoe, what are you wanting to synch your Windows Media player with?

SurferJoe46
03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Well...I use WMP to synch my Sansa, and it works a charm..so I just thought I'd try it on the iPod too for my wife's kid.

Those iPods are sure slippery! It's a lot easier to drop out of your hand if you don't have a silicon cover over it.

BTW: I don't have anything DRMd at all..I convert to MP3 via Audacity if I suspect there's a digital sig on it.

I have noticed that my Sansa does not like anything saved over 128 and most of my stuff is at or about 1,000...so I have been generating a lot of Audacity converted MP3s in 128 or less.

Does the iPod have such a problem too with files saved in a high bitrate?

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I dont think WMP 10 or 11 works with Ipods unless u get / buy a plugin for it.

Well I know they dont work with WMP 11, I tried it here.

It wont recognise it, or sync with it.

Dont think Ipods have any prob with the bitrate. I did a few 320k's they were fine.

Winamp would most probably be better for the Ipod. As it supports them and a few other MP3 players by default.

winmacguy
03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I have noticed that my Sansa does not like anything saved over 128 and most of my stuff is at or about 1,000...so I have been generating a lot of Audacity converted MP3s in 128 or less.

Does the iPod have such a problem too with files saved in a high bitrate?

Not at all SurferJoe, Apple considers anything under 128k to be substandard. iTunes can encode at up to 320kbps and you can play all of the files ripped into iTunes on the iPod. Feel free to use Winamp if you want to. I am pretty sure that there are a number of software apps that will synch with the iPod due to the size of the iPod market.

SurferJoe46
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Youse guys almost got me convinced....

Question:

Will my current MP3s and .wva attach to Winamp?

Will I have a lot of trouble disassociating the files I now own from WMP10?

I am just afraid of leaving the MP3s and .wav in limbo if I remove WMP before I add a new player, that's all. It doesn't seem a good idea to have multiple players all fighting for supremacy over the files if there's a chance of destroying all of the stuff I have saved.

Maybe I should try this on my testbed Dell Dimension 750 first with a limited amount of files to work with. <did I just have a good idea there?>

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Winamp shouldnt have a prob with most audio formats, just add the files/or the folder/s the MP3's are in.

And it'll happily play them. Dont know about WMA i think it plays them, I havent got any to try.

Just leave WMP where it is, just use Winamp instead.

lol I've got Winamp, WMP11 and Jetaudio installed.

Just change the file associations with whatever program. I didnt associate any specific audio format with any of these. I just load whatever and play whatever, it'll play it.

winmacguy
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Youse guys almost got me convinced....

Question:

Will my current MP3s and .wva attach to Winamp?

Will I have a lot of trouble disassociating the files I now own from WMP10?

The safest files to use would be mp3 files since they should play on all media players regardless of the maker. The only catch is that the mp3 codec is getting a bit long in the tooth.

autechre
04-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Winamp will happily play your .wma, .wav & .mp3 files. I think it may even be able to convert the .wma to .mp3 so you can put them on the iPod.

Supported file types (http://www.winamp.com/player/features)

plod
04-07-2007, 09:56 AM
gruprnet (http://grupenet.com/2007/06/19/sync-other-mp3-players-with-itunes/) A utility that allows you to sync "other mp3 players" using itunes. Just thought I would throw it in as an option

winmacguy
04-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Winamp will happily play your .wma, .wav & .mp3 files. I think it may even be able to convert the .wma to .mp3 so you can put them on the iPod.

Supported file types (http://www.winamp.com/player/features)

The only wma files that can't be directly converted to mp3 without burning to a CD then re ripping are the DRMd files (from online store).

Erayd
04-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Rockbox (http://rockbox.org/): An alternate firmware for MP3 players (both iPods and sansa players are among those supported). Provides a LOT more features, and doesn't require a sync program - just copy your music onto the player as if it was a normal drive, and when you disconnect it the player will 'sync' itself (i.e. it builds its own tag database, and doesn't require an external program to do the heavy lifting).

It also plays pretty much every format under the sun - the only common ones it can't play are wma and AACplus. Normal AAC is supported. For the audiophiles, it even plays FLAC :D.

[edit: looks like they're working on a wma codec for it at the moment, so expect to see support for this format added in the near future.]

winmacguy
04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I have seen some pretty good reviews about the Rockbox.:thumbs:

Erayd
04-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Indeed. I'd never use anything else - it does a much better job than any other DAP firmware I've seen to date (I run Rockbox on a 5.5 gen iPod, and used to run it on an iriver H10).

Note to anyone trying it out: Don't be put off by how it looks. Yes, the default look is ugly - you will need to install a theme, after which it can look stunning.