PDA

View Full Version : Limiting CPU speed for old software

Hokonui
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I have an old W95/98 vintage stats & trial design package (Agrobase, based on Foxpro) that has been running happily on my XP Pro system. I've recently been upgraded? to a new laptop (also XP Pro) but now the program refuses to run.

It loads ok but crashes with an "insufficient memory" error on attempting to run any of the functions. Googling hasn't provided any fixes but has suggested the problem isn't memory but that the old software can't handle a modern fast processor.

The only threads I could find on the topic discussed throttling the cpu via a boot.ini? Slowing the pc to run the prog would be ok but I wouldn't want it throttled all the time. Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Did u try compatibility mode, on whatever program??

I wouldnt try and lower the CPU speed.

You could try and do this in the BIOS, but it would most probably slow the whole system down, not just this 98 program.

Hokonui
03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks Speedy, I tried the compatibility mode - no good.

Agreed, I don't want to slow it for everything but if I could do so, simply, just to run this prog would be ok.

Rob99
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
You could upgrade the software http://www.agronomix.com/

Hokonui
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Had considered that Rob but figured there was probably 10yrs of bloat involved by now - and as we are provided Genstat it would be considered a local cost not an ovhd which makes upgrading less appealing.

Guess I'll have to find a Genstat manual!

intel hunter
03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Try installing it in compatability mode. In other words, right click on the install file, .exe, or whatever it is and run it in compatability mode, say Windows 98.
It usually works as I have done it many times with older software.

TGoddard
04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Try running it using Microsoft Virtual PC without the guest extensions. It's the most effective means I know.