PDA

View Full Version : Dont buy Basix energy saving bulbs

Digby
30-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi Guys

Six months ago I bought a few Ecobulb brand energy saving light bulbs from New World for low use areas in my house.

I am very pleased with them so far. None have blown and the light output/quality is not too bad.

They only go up to 100W equivalent. So I wanted some 200W equivalents for my workshop and studio areas. I buy Philips 200W bulbs from New World and whilst they are good they only last 4 or 5 months and they are rather dear at $2.69 which was the price several years ago when they were made in New Zealand and now they are made in Indonesia they still have the same retail price !

So I heard that Mitre 10 ? Mega have some bigger wattage energy savers and the other day I bought a Basix brand 45W lamp (in a big blue box) which is supposed to be the equivalent of a 150w or 200W bulb.

I am very disappointed with it. The light is an eerie kind of blue and it is nowher near as bright as my 200W bulbs. Indeed during the last week or so I am sure that the light output has dropped !

I strongly recommend that you do not buy any of these bulbs as they are bloody terrible. I am looking for a good quality name brand energy saver of 45Watts, but they do not seem to exist.

Regards

Digby

somebody
30-06-2007, 11:25 AM
You may need to go to using those large mercury vapour lamps often used in commercial installations.

I'm currently using a 100W (equiv.) Basix energy saving light bulb, and it's actually quite good. It's important to get ones which are "warm white" rather than "daylight", to avoid the eeire blue glow.

pctek
30-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd buy them except they all so hideously ugly.

robbyp
30-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Guys

Six months ago I bought a few Ecobulb brand energy saving light bulbs from New World for low use areas in my house.

I am very pleased with them so far. None have blown and the light output/quality is not too bad.

They only go up to 100W equivalent. So I wanted some 200W equivalents for my workshop and studio areas. I buy Philips 200W bulbs from New World and whilst they are good they only last 4 or 5 months and they are rather dear at $2.69 which was the price several years ago when they were made in New Zealand and now they are made in Indonesia they still have the same retail price !

So I heard that Mitre 10 ? Mega have some bigger wattage energy savers and the other day I bought a Basix brand 45W lamp (in a big blue box) which is supposed to be the equivalent of a 150w or 200W bulb.

I am very disappointed with it. The light is an eerie kind of blue and it is nowher near as bright as my 200W bulbs. Indeed during the last week or so I am sure that the light output has dropped !

I strongly recommend that you do not buy any of these bulbs as they are bloody terrible. I am looking for a good quality name brand energy saver of 45Watts, but they do not seem to exist.

Regards

Digby

They would be 'daylight colour' bulbs which produce a bluer light. You would want 'warm light' colour which have a warmer light.

godfather
30-06-2007, 01:22 PM
The best commonly available are the Philips "Tornado" series 23 Watt spiral lamps, they have quite a good light output for a domestic CFL.

You need to remember that (particularly in winter) the CFL's can take 30 seconds or a lot more if really cold to come up to full brilliance.

Digby
30-06-2007, 01:45 PM
yes you are right I did get the daylight ones. But they are more like moonlight !

regards

Digby

rogerp
30-06-2007, 03:35 PM
yes you are right I did get the daylight ones. But they are more like moonlight !

regards

Digby

Yeah, I purchased some myslef a while ago, and they don't make it very clear on the box that they aren't 'warm light' I don't think basix do 'warm light' ones. I replaced them with ecobulbs when they had the special offer of 5 for $10 at PaknSlave.

somebody
30-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I purchased some myslef a while ago, and they don't make it very clear on the box that they aren't 'warm light' I don't think basix do 'warm light' ones. I replaced them with ecobulbs when they had the special offer of 5 for $10 at PaknSlave.

Basix do have "Warm White" bulbs - I bought a couple last week.

V1sta
30-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd buy them except they all so hideously ugly.

Because your lightbulbs are part of your interior decor rather than a utility? :confused:

pctek
30-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Because your lightbulbs are part of your interior decor rather than a utility? :confused:

Of course.
They are both.

TideMan
30-06-2007, 05:33 PM
We tried them, but I found their light was dreadful for reading in. I felt like I was straining my eyes to see the printing on the page. And the light didn't seem to fill the room. We've gone back to regular incandescents.

Digby
01-07-2007, 08:09 AM
We tried them, but I found their light was dreadful for reading in. I felt like I was straining my eyes to see the printing on the page. And the light didn't seem to fill the room. We've gone back to regular incandescents.

What wattage did you try ?

It is important because the govt will eventually want to make incandescent bulbs illegal. And if enough people think the light output is not good then they should not do this.

I must admit that my low voltage 15W (75W) equivalents from EcoBulb do not put out quite as much light or as good a light for reading as incandescents, but I found they are tolerable.

I will look out for the Basix warm light bulbs.

Kind Regards

Digby

rumpty
01-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't like the colour of the Warm White Ecobulbs that I have installed in some places in the house. They have a green-yellow predominance (or something like that) and tend to make one's dinner look a bit yucky.

godfather
01-07-2007, 10:05 AM
tend to make one's dinner look a bit yucky.
Of course it could be that the Eco lamps are just revealing the truth?

R2x1
01-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I have an incandescent in the fridge, one in the oven, and in one torch. Everything else is small fluorescent, all warm white except the kitchen which is cool white - an unknown brand 22w that comes on at full intensity and lights the place up like an operating theatre. It is non-spiral, about 5 years old and does not appear to have any legible brand name. After using them for about 10 years, I find cleaning them is the main problem.

rumpty
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Of course it could be that the Eco lamps are just revealing the truth?

No. The food looks fine if I carry it over to the kitchen working area, where my wife has prepared it, and where there is an incandescent bulb.

Poppa John
01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
From Memory.

Fluo colour rages from the blue end of the colour spectrum to the red end.
Like this.
Blue end.
Northlight
Daylight
Cool White.
White
Warm White
Red End.
There may be some I have missed.
There are coloured ones as well. There is also one that Butchers use in their display window that makes the meat look Redder.

Graham L
03-07-2007, 05:33 PM
. . . There is also one that Butchers use in their display window that makes the meat look Redder. That's sulphur dioxide. :D