PDA

View Full Version : Internet seems slow today

chiefnz
30-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey anyone having problems with the Internet today... Google taking ages to load as well as other Intntl sites, browsing back to F1 is pretty normal.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2007, 08:04 AM
On Ihug /dialup its pretty slow. Most probably coz of the rain.

Just tried Google / Yahoo. They came up pretty fast.

Replying in here is a tad slow tho. Some times u have to press save twice.

chiefnz
30-06-2007, 08:06 AM
I keep having to reload pages a 2nd time because I keep getting"Page cannot be found" errors

Reset my router, restarted the lappy and the PC but still same thing.

Crappy weather today in Auckland.

Cheers

Trev
30-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Crappy Weather + School Holidays = Slow Internet.
Trevor :)

CYaBro
30-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Seems fine here in Whangarei on Xnet.

chiefnz
30-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Well it seems to have improved... the Internet that is, weather's still pretty crap though. Haven't been able to mow the lawns in the last few weeks (not that I'm complaining about it)

Well I suppose I better get back to cleaning the house, having guests over for tea. Might get some movies going on the Media Centre to keep things nice and sociable.

cheers

chiefnz
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
After my last post yesterday the Internet went down again. Weird thing is that the router reported that it was logged and that the connection was fine.

I left things for a few hours and kept checking every half hour or so... still nothing. Eventually rang Woosh up and discovered that their "Quicksilver" customers weren't able to browse the web, check email or make toll calls.

I think it is a reminder to NZ broadband customers that despite the fact Telecom isn't very co-operative when giving NZ a decent broadband service the NZ ISP community isn't doing anything better either.

I'm quite convinced now that Woosh is probably trying to deliberately hack off their Quicksilver customers in an attempt to get them to switch to a full Woosh account. My gripe with this is that if I switch to Woosh they won't give me the same plan I'm on at the moment, which is no data cap (fs/128).

Nothing more than Woosh trying to extort money from me as far as I'm concerned.

Incidently, my Internet was down just about the entire day yesterday and was working this morning.

Looks like we're being served LEMON's left, right and centre.

Cheers

winmacguy
01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
My parents told me that their Telecom BB modem is not working at all although I am not having any problems with mine aside from the variable dl speeds depending on the time of day or night.

stu161204
01-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Yesterday the internet seems fine.

But I noticed this morning (about 11:30 - 11:40 am) thing where a bit slow here on Xtra Go Large, but that could have been my dad downloading a large file or things could have been slow. :confused:

We are on Xtra Go Large so we have good days & bad days with our speed, so I cant really comment on the speed.

zcc
01-07-2007, 02:00 PM
My xtra go large is fine... always is... unless I dick with my settings...

intel hunter
01-07-2007, 03:50 PM
From The Register

Sūnnet Beskerming researchers observed an interesting deviation in global network traffic over the last 24 hours, particularly for South American, Asian, and Australian networks. Normally, global Internet traffic (as observed by the Internet Traffic Report) oscillates around nine per cent packet loss, with global response times of 138 ms, and the internally derived traffic index at around 79.

Sustained over the last 24 hours, the traffic index has dipped almost five per cent, packet loss has climbed to 11 per cent, and the global response time to almost 150 ms.

Might be why?? Who knows.

procosm
03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm on Woosh wireless broadband. Over the last week or more speed has been same as or slower than dialup. I have not gone past my cap of 5500mb. I'm trying to download a 25mb file now and the speed is only 2.8kbyte/s

Erayd
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
My net's been fine, but it was disconnected when I woke up this morning. Once reconnected I've had no issues.

ISP: Xnet.

johcar
08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm on Woosh wireless broadband. Over the last week or more speed has been same as or slower than dialup. I have not gone past my cap of 5500mb. I'm trying to download a 25mb file now and the speed is only 2.8kbyte/sDitto here for the last week to ten days. Went in to Woosh in Newmarket this morning, did some tests with the guy on the front desk and established that Zonealarm (Security Suite v7.0.337) appeared to be the culprit. I have been a strong supporter of ZA products for many years, but it appears a recent update has slowed download speeds horrendously. I have gone back to ZA SS v6.5.737 to see whether that make any difference.... If things don't improve I will dump ZA (on both my machines)and try AVG.

Erayd
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
You do realise that ZoneAlarm and AVG do completely different things? ZoneAlarm is a firewall, and AVG is an antivirus product.

kjaada
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
PF1 going to intl.adbuerau is worse than a snail.It is the worst I have come across ever

procosm
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Ditto here for the last week to ten days. Went in to Woosh in Newmarket this morning, did some tests with the guy on the front desk and established that Zonealarm (Security Suite v7.0.337) appeared to be the culprit. I have been a strong supporter of ZA products for many years, but it appears a recent update has slowed download speeds horrendously. I have gone back to ZA SS v6.5.737 to see whether that make any difference.... If things don't improve I will dump ZA (on both my machines)and try AVG.

I am using a hardware firewall in my router (Linksys BEFSR41). The reason: to make the woosh modem work in three operating systems: Windows, Linux and Beos. I haven't tried the speed in Beos but in Windows and Linux it is slow. I could try to see if it is any faster in Windows by connecting the woosh modem directly to a USB port but I doubt that the router firewall would cause this.

johcar
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
You do realise that ZoneAlarm and AVG do completely different things? ZoneAlarm is a firewall, and AVG is an antivirus product.Yes - the ZA I have is the Security Suite which does both. At the moment I can see a small improvement running the older version, but if I end up dumping it I know I will have to get a firewall in addition to AVG. Probably using the recommendations in numerous other posts on PF1! :)

johcar
08-08-2007, 03:27 PM
I am using a hardware firewall in my router (Linksys BEFSR41). The reason: to make the woosh modem work in three operating systems: Windows, Linux and Beos. I haven't tried the speed in Beos but in Windows and Linux it is slow. I could try to see if it is any faster in Windows by connecting the woosh modem directly to a USB port but I doubt that the router firewall would cause this.My experience with Woosh modems and USB is - don't! Pctek gave me great advice and advised me to use an ethernet connection - MUCH better... as far as reliability is concerned, not speed :(