PDA

View Full Version : Installing Vista on a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3

george12
28-06-2007, 11:52 PM
I am having trouble getting Vista installed on this motherboard.

I have two Seagate 250GB SATA hard drives connected to SATA ports 0 and 1 on the ICH9 SATA controller.

Setup lists the drives correctly, but I get the error "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." followed by "Windows cannot find a system volume that meets requirements for installation." if I try to continue.

Usually when this happens (I always got it on P965 boards), I could easily fix it by setting the SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI rather than IDE. However no similar options in this board's BIOS seems to solve the problem.

I tried partitioning and formatting the drives (which Setup let me do), but that hasn't helped.

The default settings were for it to run in "Legacy IDE" mode with AHCI set to Disabled.

I have changed it to "Native IDE" (the other option) and enabled AHCI, with no effect on the problem. With it running in Native mode, I get a SATA BIOS appearing and detecting both SATA drives, as opposed to the system BIOS detecting them as IDE drives.

Any ideas? I Googled the problem and haven't yet found a solution or explanation.

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Did u extract the SATA drivers to a floppy, and press F6 (or whatever this key is, in Vista), during Vista's install??

I would say this is why this error is appearing

Windows cannot find a system volume that meets requirements for installation

george12
29-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Did u extract the SATA drivers to a floppy, and press F6 (or whatever this key is, in Vista), during Vista's install??

I would say this is why this error is appearing

Windows cannot find a system volume that meets requirements for installation

I'll give it a try.

Thankfully with Vista I can use a USB drive.

george12
29-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, it's going fine now. Either it installed the drivers automatically from the USB drive I had plugged in (I didn't need to), or I've done something else that fixed it somehow.

I guess I'll find out when I make the next one.

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Some mobos (not all) need the extracted SATA drivers on a floppy or USB flash drive.

Before the install (It can also happen on 2k/XP), before the setup/install will recognise the hdd.

And it can also happen, whether you're running 2 hdd's in RAID or not.

Good to hear its fixed!

george12
29-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Yep, thanks very much.

I thought that the fact that Setup could see the drives meant it didn't need extra drivers, but obviously not. Helpful to know.

Now for the next problem (another thread) - a shortcut way to install XP on 16 computers at once!

alopes
29-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi George12:

I have a similar configuration. When installing VISTA on my pc. (w/o RAID) I unplugged the second HDD and loaded it on and once it got working i then connected the second HDD and all is working fine for me.

Good Luck.

george12
29-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi George12:

I have a similar configuration. When installing VISTA on my pc. (w/o RAID) I unplugged the second HDD and loaded it on and once it got working i then connected the second HDD and all is working fine for me.

Good Luck.

Hi alopes,

I have heard of this being a way to solve the problem, but I didn't want to do this to install it, in case I had the same sort of trouble when I reconnected the second drive.