PDA

View Full Version : How make Vista look like XP?

stuffed
28-06-2007, 04:36 PM
We have set up a computer group for seniors and purchased 4 new PCs and asked for XP Pro. Due to a stuff-up the suppliers have given us Vista Home Premium ok good value but most of our tutors and students would prefer XP - just now anyway. Apparently there is some way to make Vista look like XP? Any leads on how to do this?
Many thanks

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Take it back and tell them to give u XP, if thats what u want.

chiefnz
28-06-2007, 05:01 PM
We have set up a computer group for seniors and purchased 4 new PCs and asked for XP Pro. Due to a stuff-up the suppliers have given us Vista Home Premium ok good value but most of our tutors and students would prefer XP - just now anyway. Apparently there is some way to make Vista look like XP? Any leads on how to do this?
Many thanks

All good and well to make it look like XP but the underlying OS would still be Vista.

As Speedy suggested take the machines back and get what you asked and paid for. If the stuff up was on their part then under the CGA you have every right to get the products you paid for.. this includes the OS you want.

Cheers

dolby digital
28-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Bet its cold in Arrowtown :)

Unless you need XP because you have hardware which is not compatible with Vista, I would stick with Vista. XP is a bit dated now, and in a couple of years time, you might want to upgrade to Vista and then you have to pay again.

If you can use XP, you can stumble around Vista till you get the hang of it.

Now I could advise you on version of Linux which looks like XP :horrified

chiefnz
28-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Bet its cold in Arrowtown :)

Unless you need XP because you have hardware which is not compatible with Vista, I would stick with Vista. XP is a bit dated now, and in a couple of years time, you might want to upgrade to Vista and then you have to pay again.

If you can use XP, you can stumble around Vista till you get the hang of it.

Now I could advise you on version of Linux which looks like XP :horrified

How does that help when the tutors themselves are not well versed in Vista. A bit like the blind leading the blind don't you think. Just because Vista is the new technology doesn't mean it is better to adopt as the preferred OS.

beeswax34
28-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm sorry I thought it would be simple: Get XP.

jesseycy
28-06-2007, 11:44 PM
We have set up a computer group for seniors and purchased 4 new PC’s and asked for XP Pro. Due to a stuff-up the suppliers have given us Vista Home Premium – ok good value but most of our tutors and students would prefer XP - just now anyway. Apparently there is some way to make Vista look like XP? Any leads on how to do this?
Many thanks

It's for a senior group, and you're worried they might get lost in the new Vista menus, right?

Why don't you set good ole "classic" in control panel and themes... That's pretty much the standard XP sort of interface... And then, consult with the tutors, to see if they think it's good enough???

stuffed
29-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone - tried this and it looks good -
Right click on the desktop;
Left click Personalize
Select Windows Color and Appearance
In the Color Scheme box select either Windows Classic or Windows Standard Click Apply Click OK
If not we still have 4 donated XP PC's to go back to on a temporary basis. We are finding however that most newbies to computing are now getting new laptop's - with Vista - it is just the old tutors that need upgrading!! They do a fantastic job these people.
And yes - brrrrrrrrrrrrr - http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jim.ryan/weather2/

motorbyclist
29-06-2007, 06:44 PM
yea, your tutors should really be up to date with the latest OS, teaching an obsolete system seems a bit silly to me...