PDA

View Full Version : Floppy disc drive rebelling at Seagate External Drive

Heather J
28-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Just purchased a Seagate FreeAGe 250g external hard drive, then connected to my Dell Dimension 4600, running XP Home, via USB (about 3 years old). Works well, but the Floppy Disc Drive (which I no longer use – pen drives have replaced it!) is rebelling. When I save pictures from my camera via USB to the FreeAge the Floppy Disc Drive then leaps into action with a ‘whirring noise’ and the floppy disc light comes on, (it does not have a disc in).
Could you please tell me if it is possible to stop the Floppy disc drive trying to work. If this is not possible how can I disconnect the Floppy – I am an elderly person who visibly blanches at instructions which start with either “open registry” or ‘take the back of your computer box’.
Any help would be appreciated as it does get distracting with the ‘whirring noise’ . thanks

Sweep
28-06-2007, 12:04 PM
If you know how to get into the BIOS you could disable the floppy drive from there.

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Disable the floppy in the BIOS.

I dont know what the key is, it maybe F2, F10, F12.

Find the floppy option disable it. Then find the save settings option, then reboot.

Heather J
28-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks so much, went into BIOS and the Floppy Drive is now 'not installed', and its a lot quieter in our house. Thanks again Heather

pctek
28-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Taking the side off the PC isn't hard.
My 75 yr old Father who has no tech experience and has bad eyesight managed to connect up my brothers front USB the other day with instructions from me. Took a while but thats quite fiddly.

If you took the side off you would see a grey cable coming out the back of the floopy drive and a small power cable.
Pulling them both off would disable it completely.