PDA

View Full Version : Unknown CPU Type

jasontimaru
26-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi!, and thanx for checking my post :P

I have got WindowsXP Home Version 2002, SP2

When i look at my system properties it's saying Unknown CPU type!! 1.66 GHz and 96.0MB RAM!!....We r SURE we used to have 256MB RAM??.

37.30 GB on C Drive....18.26 GB Free..

Now in task manager our Page File Usage History is ALWAYS showing Total 9776, Available 14300(ish) System Cache 21692(ish) ..With only 29 processes running at the moment..

It's SLOW! HAs any1got any ideas for me?? How can i make itfind the CPU type?Is this why the RAM isnt there??

wratterus
26-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Welcome to PressF1;)

Two thing's Id try would be to look in the device manager and check for any devices mising drivers (usuaully marked by a yellow question mark).

Also check for a BIOS update for your motherboard. I'd say the two problems are definitley related.

jasontimaru
26-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Ive been into device manager a few times..doesnt seem to be a problem there..Ihad been wondering about a BIOS update..but how do i find out what motherboard i have?
Thank you for your quick response :)

wratterus
26-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Look on the motherboard itself.. usuaully there's a model number either between the pci slots or to the right of the cpu. If you find something but are not sure if it's right either throw it into google or pop it up here and someone should be able to tell you what make/model board you have.:thumbs:

beeswax34
26-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Just get Belarc Advisor and run it and it will tell you all the details you need plus its good to have a copy of all the serial no's of the software on your computer.

jasontimaru
26-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I looked at the device manager again..Under Processors it says unknown CPU Type, then goes on under properties

Device Type: Processors
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Technologies..
Details: Device instances ACPI\AUTHENTIC_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL-8\_0
Driver files C:\\Windows\system32\Drivers\amdk7.sys
Wow...

jasontimaru
26-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I then tried to roll back that driver..Pop Up..This AMD K7 Processor has not passed windows logo testing..

jasontimaru
26-06-2007, 04:05 PM
hehe last time i opened this beastie the DUST was clogging it up...i dont know my way around inside very well at all..will have to check on that

racepics
26-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Technologies..

Its an AMD ( probably Athlon ) 1.6ghz cpu

As for the RAM discrepancy - if the mobo has onboard video - XP will only report whats left after the video has used its share.

racepics
26-06-2007, 08:58 PM
As far as speeding up XP goes..

Delete all temp files:

here - C:\windows\temp
here - C:\windows\Temporary Internet Files
here - C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]Local Settings\Temp
here - C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Go to Start>All Programs>Startup and remove any shortcuts to programs that aren't required at startup

Go to Start>Run
type msconfig
go to Startup tab
untick anything that doesnt need to run at startup

reboot

Rightclick on My computer
Go Properties>Advanced>Performance
and tick the "Adjust for best performance" box click OK.

Not much else you can do apart from more RAM etc..

hope that helps.

Greg
26-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Ihad been wondering about a BIOS updateDon't.

feersumendjinn
26-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Perhaps the dust, and the cpu not identifying itself on the POST screen, could be related (partly fried cpu?!?) :horrified

feersumendjinn
26-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't.

Ditto