PDA

View Full Version : Finding unlinked files on a web site

Morgenmuffel
26-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi all

The issue is this,
A friends website has literally hundreds of image files all in the same directory, the problem is that when they have removed a page from the website they haven't removed the relevant images, is there a way to find out which images in this directory aren't linked to any pages so i can remove them

And yes i know i can manually go through and remove them but that is going to take a while

Greg
26-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Assuming he knows what images are supposed to be removed, it's straightforward to click and alt+click or click+shift click then remove them.

It'd be helpful to know exactly how he's trying to do this.... FTP is most useful or is he using a certain Panel interface spplied by his website host?

Rob99
26-06-2007, 03:25 PM
You may be able to use Dreamweaver, you would need to download the whole site from the server including images.

You can then sync the site, selecting delete files not used <?--or similar, sorry havent done it in a while -->

johcar
26-06-2007, 04:06 PM
You may be able to use Dreamweaver, you would need to download the whole site from the server including images.

You can then sync the site, selecting delete files not used <?--or similar, sorry havent done it in a while -->Hmm. That option might be a tad dangerous if there are some 'legitimate' broken links on the site (that actually need fixing)... Best to do a diff/conflicts comparison with an application like Frontpage or Dreamweaver or similar...

Morgenmuffel
26-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Assuming he knows what images are supposed to be removed, it's straightforward to click and alt+click or click+shift click then remove them.

The problem is that they have no idea which are attached to pages and which aren't

You can then sync the site, selecting delete files not used <?--or similar, sorry havent done it in a while -->

I'll give that a go and see what happens

coldot
26-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Google for Xenulink which may be of some help. It checks all links on a site.

vinref
26-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Is it a linux web server?

You can list files by access time - "ls -lu". Maybe files that have not been accessed for a long time are no longer linked to. Maybe worth a try.