PDA

View Full Version : can i upgrade my laptop vidcard?

bizzack
26-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Hi everyone. Recently I was given an HP Pavilion dv9305tx notebook. It's a really nice laptop capable
of doing all my design work on and even gaming. It comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GO 7600. I've been trying
to find out if I am able to upgrade the video card, as the RAM is maxed out at 2gb and even though
the vid card is suffice for now, in the near future I'd like that option. I've asked around
a bit on the net, asking various other 9305tx owners if they know if it is possible to upgrade.. and
I've almost been flamed in response! "Why would you want to upgrade the vid card?!! It's fine how it is!"
anyways... does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the vid card? I've read somewhere that with
note books often the vidcards are hardwired in. (this is my first notebook so I'm pretty clueless!)

Thanks all for your help

Greg
26-06-2007, 07:00 AM
This official page suggests no - as there's no card upgrade listed. But if you thought of upgrading it then you shouldn't have a problem opening it up and seeing if it's removable.

And if so, I'd suggest that you stick to a higher model of the same brand and make.

Renmoo
28-06-2007, 12:09 AM
This official page suggests no - as there's no card upgrade listed. But if you thought of upgrading it then you shouldn't have a problem opening it up and seeing if it's removable.

And if so, I'd suggest that you stick to a higher model of the same brand and make.
I am not being pedantic, but it would be great if you can repost the URL that you have missed for "this official page".

Cheers :)

inova
28-06-2007, 05:20 AM
I am afraid not

bizzack
28-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I think he means the hp site. If you run a search for this model of laptop it comes up with a spec sheat. It doesn't outright say "Not upgradable" though it does say 2gb max for ram. So I was hoping that there is hope... I haven't come across any of these pavilions with a better graphics card than this. I hope it is possible because it will be rather dated soon....

Greg
28-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I think he means the hp site.Thanks. Yeah I missed putting in the specific link. It's easily googelable.

SolMiester
28-06-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the video cards in laptops these days slot into pcie slots just like desktop pc's, however you need to dismantle the laptop as there isnt a bay open to them.
I not sure though if there is a upgradable card compatible with you model though, the next nvidia card is the new 8 series go, but that probably needs a better power supply. Actually, wasnt there a 7900 go card?......

I would say, you would be best talking to HP about it anyway. Dont worry , it is a free service and if anyone should know......