PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Driver

Faded_Mantis
25-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Ok, I did a search for this and all I found were problems where updating the graphics driver was the solution, but I want to know this:

Should I go by the saying "Don't try and fix what isn't broken" concerning my graphics driver.

My system is working fine, is there any advantage to updating graphics drivers other than to fix a problem?

The_End_Of_Reality
25-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Yes... If you are a gamer the latest drivers can sometimes get a little more performance out of a card by the way the drivers are built. But if you are not then unless there is a problem then there is no point at all (or if the new drivers have extra features that you want you can) it really is no big deal updating the drivers... just remove the old install the new and if they don't work remove them and reinstall the old.

Myth
25-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes... If you are a gamer the latest drivers can sometimes get a little more performance out of a card by the way the drivers are built. But if you are not then unless there is a problem then there is no point at all (or if the new drivers have extra features that you want you can) it really is no big deal updating the drivers... just remove the old install the new and if they don't work remove them and reinstall the old.Note the keyword in here, sometimes

The_End_Of_Reality
25-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Note the keyword in here, sometimes Yes sometimes... If not you can reinstall the old ones :rolleyes:

Atleast I didn't say ALWAYS ;)

chiefnz
25-06-2007, 12:15 PM
...Should I go by the saying "Don't try and fix what isn't broken" concerning my graphics driver.

I would say yes. Graphics drivers can be a bit hairy. The rule of thumb for me is I would read the release notes 1st before downloading the new driver. This serves 2 purposes...

1) you are able to find out beforehand what makes the new driver better than the older one. In my experience with ATi driver releases their release notes are pretty thorough and usually tell you if there is any performance increase no matter how slight.

2) you are able to find out beforehand what issues the new drivers have... so before you even installed it you are aware of the glitches the software has. So if you play a certain game and the release notes table an issue with that game you at least know to stay away from the driver until the issue is resolved. The release notes are also good source of info when an issue between a game and the driver isn't related to the driver but the game. Thus you don't waste time trying to solve what you think is a driver issue when a read of the release notes will tell you it's the game itself... you can thus resolve the issue by applying any game patches the game developer releases subsequent to that.

Finally, my 3rd tip, check computing forums, I personally go to...

http://www.guru3d.com

They have dedicated sections to ATi and nVidia products as well as the driver releases. Most of the forum members are hard case over clockers so they demand top performance from any driver release. If you want to be in the know about drivers and the like then I would highly recommend this forum and others like it.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Faded_Mantis
25-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll read release notes to see if I can get any performance upgrades from the drivers, otherwise I'll stay on one which I know is stable and works.

pctek
25-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Most of the forum members are hard case over clockers so they demand top performance from any driver release.

Really? Are we?
I would say not.

I'm not but I do update the driver now and then. Not religiously, but I do, because it does make a difference.

But it has nothing to do with overclocking.

The_End_Of_Reality
25-06-2007, 07:55 PM
pctek, I don't think chiefnz was meaning THIS forum... he was meaning the forum guru3d.com has :p

Faded_Mantis
29-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread.

Looks like I wont be upgrading to the latest 94.24 because I have read mainly bad news on these drivers, however people are saying that it's worth updating to the 93.71 drivers. Under device manager it says driver version: 9.1.3.1 - does that mean that I have forceware 91.31? They are dated for 6/1/2006 if that helps.

I was having trouble finding any release notes for 94.24 and I thought I was just no good at looking, seeing as the nVidia website said to check the release notes...turns out they never released any realease notes for 94.24

[EDIT]
Turns out the 93.71 drivers can cause some problems too!

Might as well just stay on my current drivers then judging by all the bad press the new ones are getting.