PDA

View Full Version : Printer for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

damien
24-06-2007, 03:16 PM
OS Dapper Drake. My present printer an Epson Stylus C440 can't be detected by the OS and using the recommended driver 'stcolor' I can print documents but GIMP can't access the printer so I can't print photos.
My printer needs replacing and I would like to know what inkjet colour printers are suitable for Ubuntu. I am looking for an inkjet low to medium price printer that the OS will detect and load the correct drivers.
Am interested to know what printers other Ubuntu users have that were no problem to install.

kjaada
24-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Canon BJC printers with serial ports are OK and HP printers are good with Linux but ink is expensive.

kjaada
24-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Also have you tried printing photos from Open Office draw.I had a printer that would not print from Gimp and it worked 100% from OOo.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2007, 03:37 PM
This brother MFC-215C works ok in Ubuntu - I had to use the 210C drivers, there are no drivers for the 215C.

(I used to have 6.06 (well Ive still got the CD). But I wiped the spare hdd and installed Feisty (7.04), on it. From the latest APC mag.

I had to read a few sites on how to configure / install it tho. The brother site didnt have a hell of a lot of info on how to make the thing work. With this printer u have to install the drivers and the CUP drivers (with the printer off), then turn it back on.

But after reading a few sites, I managed to get the printer to print and the scanner to scan.

To be safe this time, I copied the cache folder coz stuffed if I'm reinstalling 325mb again, if I have to format again lol.

Myth
24-06-2007, 05:38 PM
This list (http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Printing-HOWTO/printers.htmlt) will give you an idea of what is supported by linux and what printers have issues. If the printer you are checking isnt on that list, use this database search (http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi) for a better idea

damien
24-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks all for your help.
Damien