PDA

View Full Version : Can't install Powerpoint

Billy T
23-06-2007, 03:55 PM
When I installed the MS Office 2000 program suite on my daughter's computer I excluded Access and Powerpoint because I didn't think she'd ever need them, and she hasn't for the last 6 years.

That was then, this is now, and sod's law decrees that she needs PP asap for Uni studies. No sweat I thought, just run Add-Remove programs, drop in the CD, select PP and click install.

All that went well, but both PP and Access are x'd out in the option selection pane and I can't get PP freed up for instal. I have also tried doing a standard installation procedure by just inserting the CD and running it, but find myself at the same dead end.

Since the CD can't be written to, I figure there must be a registry entry recording the previous "don't install" decision, but does anybody know anything about this issue before I start a registry search?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

plod
23-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the whole office suite, and then doing an install

beeswax34
23-06-2007, 05:06 PM
When I installed the MS Office 2000 program suite on my daughter's computer I excluded Access and Powerpoint because I didn't think she'd ever need them, and she hasn't for the last 6 years.

That was then, this is now, and sod's law decrees that she needs PP asap for

Wow, you must really hate this "sod":D Want to call them something else as well?:thumbs:

winmacguy
23-06-2007, 05:12 PM
If you really get stuck you could try Open Office, it works a treat and is fully compatible with Power Point.

johcar
23-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the whole office suite, and then doing an installProbably the best option short of hacking the registry. The only disadvantage is that the Office service packs would have to be downloaded and reinstalled again. If you go this way Billy, I think I have an Office 2K SP3 or 4 on CD somewhere that I could copy for you...

plod
23-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Probably the best option short of hacking the registry. The only disadvantage is that the Office service packs would have to be downloaded and reinstalled again. If you go this way Billy, I think I have an Office 2K SP3 or 4 on CD somewhere that I could copy for you...

It seems a bit over the top to do this but it seems the quickest way. I have had to do the same thing trying to install outlook after the original office install

CYaBro
23-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Don't you just click, or right-click on the icon with the cross and select Run from Computer?

Billy T
23-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Don't you just click, or right-click on the icon with the cross and select Run from Computer? I tried all that but nothing happened. Duct tape didn't work either!

I don't want to do a full reinstall, nor do I want to change to Open Office. Said daughter is knee deep in Uni work right now and I don't wish to upset the applecart.

As an interim measure I have installed PP reader so that she can at least look at PP shows, and for working with PP she'll have to borrow my laptop or her brother's computer until I sort out this install blockage.

I might just make a Reg back-up then take a tippy-toe through the registry one day next week when she's out. I can't hurt anything by fiddling with PP references if it isn't even installed!

Watch this space........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:

winmacguy
23-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't want to do a full reinstall, nor do I want to change to Open Office. Said daughter is knee deep in Uni work right now and I don't wish to upset the applecart.

Open office is actually very similar to MS Office so there is a minimal transition curve, at least thats what I found when I first started using it. Its just less glossy.

bob_doe_nz
24-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Openoffice is good, but not perfect.
While it does most things right, it does a few things imperfectly.

So anything mission critical done in Word should be left up to Word