PDA

View Full Version : adsl modems

mettaverse
22-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster...

So I've finally decided to make the move to broadband, and at this stage are going to go with a Slingshot plan. Does anyone know what the free modems you get on a 12 month contract are like? I read posts here before that recommended getting one separately. I could do this but would I notice much of a difference? Unless there are good reasons (I'm mainly thinking adsl2, speed) I'd like to save money and get the free one on contract, then maybe get a wireless-n equipped
model next year when I may get a notebook. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations about this?
ps it's nice to be here, thanks.:cool:

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Well most ISPS give u crap modems for free. Thats why theyre free.

The main diff is, if u buy one, it may ACTUALLY work.

No point getting a ADSL 2 modem, I dont think any ISPS supply ADSL 2 speed.

I dont think ADSL 2 exists yet. So, u wont get ADSL2 speed until it arrives.

MACIAN
22-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I think that most ISPs give out free d-link 502 modems for their plans. If you want more than 1Gb per month and reasonable speed (ie not 256k??) then essentially all ISPs are $50 or so. They tend to advertise $40 but add $10 if you don't take their tolls.

The exceptioin is Xnet.co.nz. They don't give free modems but they are a lot cheaper. You can get "as fast as you can get " with a 5 gig limit for $39 per month or so I think.

You can buy a 2nd hand d-link 502T off trademe. The cheapest that I have seen is $1.50 but the average price over 11 that I tracked was $23. There are a lot of dreamers out there who have seen them for $100 at Bond and Bond and want $50 or more. Provided that you are patient you can get an old Xtra one, or a new one still sealed in its plastic bag, in the $20 to $25 range. Try and buy locally so you can pick the modem up as psotage varies form about $20 (a way to increase the price???) down to $3 or $4. Make sure that you get the latest 502 which can do ADSL2+ and watch out for the the older and slower 302's.

Good luck

Greg
22-06-2007, 10:44 PM

To contradict that, the freebie I got from Xtra a year or so ago works fantastic.

stu161204
22-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Welcome to PressF1 mettaverse :D

The main diff is, if u buy one, it may ACTUALLY work.

I agree with Speedy Gonzales here, most of the time the free modems that’s ISP give you can be crap ( but you some time can get a good one)

No point getting a ADSL 2 modem, I dont think any ISPS supply ADSL 2 speed.

Not at the moment unless mettaverse lives in Pakuranga….

I dont think ADSL 2 exists yet. So, u wont get ADSL2 speed until it arrives.

Yes it does on an exchange in Pakuranga ;)

mettaverse
23-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.

I called Slingshot today and was told the free modem is a Dynalink RTA1320. Here's a link to the specs if anyone's interested: http://www.dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320

Anyone had any experience with this model?

I was actually planning to go with their 256kb/10GB/$25 plan to start with, but having an adsl2 modem would give me plenty of room to upgrade speeds/plans in the future, which I will definitely do. (Btw, no I'm not in Pakuranga:) )

I'd likely go with XNet if I was going to straight to Max downloads, but at 256kbps Slingshot seems to be the best deal, and being with them for my dial-up and tolls already should reduce the hassles of changing.

Also, it looks like they charge $99 just for connection only if you don't go onto contract, which I think was a change that came out with their new plans a few weeks ago.
So, all in all I get the feeling I'm going on contract, yippee!!
Thanks again guys, your advice did help me clarify my thinking :thumbs:

Jester
23-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I have a Dynalink RTA1320 and have found it to be very good, it does get very hot though.

I used to use a DSE ADSL router but found the Dynalink to perform better.

At the moment though I am on dial up (long story) so it's sitting there looking very sad....

supergran
24-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Xnet prices do not include having to change to their tolls, and don't tie you into a contract.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Only thing that sucks is, it doesnt matter, if whatever ISP gives u the modem, or u buy one.

You'll still have to stick with the contract, whether u like it or not.

I dont see why I should (if I decided to get on BB), should have to.

And I spose if I did, I would go with Xnet, since I dont have a phone (since we've got 2), why I should pay extra for something I dont have.

Even if I had a phone I wouldnt bother making toll calls.

Thomas01
24-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I thought I would jump in to this thread because I am also thinking along the lines of getting Broadband. And yes as I am already with Slingshot, going with them.
Then I had a thought.
The modem would go in my study where I also of course have a phone so no problem I assume getting everything connected up. But our main phone is at the other end of the house in the kitchen.
What are the problems here. Could the kitchen phone still be used while I am on the Internet etc. We (the little lady and myself) already use the test 137 number as a convenient way of contacting each other on the 2 phones.
Tom

Buff_K
24-06-2007, 11:24 AM
We (the little lady and myself) already use the test 137 number as a convenient way of contacting each other on the 2 phones.
Tom

lol One of the real downsides of having an enormous mansion I imagine.

You would need a filter on each phone for broadband, so yes you will still be able to use your phones while connected.

Thomas01
24-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Chuckle - loved your reply Buff. Especially as our enormous mansion is a very tiddly little place bought because our previous house was just too big for us.
But at 74 with various bits and pieces either dropping off or ceasing to function properly I can indulge in my natural reluctance to exert myself.
Tom