PDA

View Full Version : Need some information with travelling around Wellington

Renmoo
22-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Dear folks,
In order to prevent additional confusion to Laura's already much crowded trip to Wellington thread, I will start one of my own. This is my following question:

I intend to travel from Wellington airport to Brooklyn by bus on one of the weekdays. Could someone please suggest me the best way to go there by bus? (i.e. what route to take etc.) Right now I am looking at http://www.metlink.org.nz figuring out the routes stated there. I have a Wellington map in front of me now.

Cheers :)

somebody
22-06-2007, 06:05 PM
There's a "Stagecoach Flyer" which goes from the Airport into town. I'm not too sure on cost, but I'm fairly sure it's under $10.

From there, you can take the No.7 or No.8 bus out to Brooklyn - cost is $2.50 one way for an adult. Make sure you allow for bus delays of anywhere up to 20mins, depending on the time of day.

Alternatively, shuttles (i.e Airport Shuttle) costs around $15 from the Airport into town.

Taxis from the Airport into town cost around the $30-$40 mark.

tutaenui
22-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Unless you particularly like travelling by bus the shuttle is probably you best bet particularly if you have luggage. May cost a little more but will save heaps of time.

martynz
23-06-2007, 11:37 PM
The airport bus is expensive (I believe its the only service that doesn't get a Council subsidy) but the cheapest way to use it is by buying a Star pass ($10) which gives you unlimited travel within Wgtn. all day. So take it into town (it leaves the airport at 20 and 50 mins past the hour)and then use the same ticket to get to Brooklyn. Then you can go back into town on the same ticket etc.

Martynz

Renmoo
24-06-2007, 02:18 PM
The airport bus is expensive (I believe its the only service that doesn't get a Council subsidy) but the cheapest way to use it is by buying a Star pass ($10) which gives you unlimited travel within Wgtn. all day. So take it into town (it leaves the airport at 20 and 50 mins past the hour)and then use the same ticket to get to Brooklyn. Then you can go back into town on the same ticket etc.

Martynz
Hey, thanks for the tip. I was initially thinking of paying $5.50 one way, so $11.00 for a return trip. Can that pass be used for Metlink buses?

Cheers :)

martynz
24-06-2007, 11:36 PM
You can use the Star pass on nearly all the bus services in Wgtn. and the immediate surrounding area. You can go to Eastbourne or Upper Hutt and its also valid for the After Midnight services.
If you get the Airport Flyer travel to the stop in Willis Street, cross the road and go back up Willis for a couple of hundred metres, theres a bus stop just past Unity Books where you'll get the Brooklyn buses (7&8).
Enjoy your visit.

Martynz

Misty
27-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Jameskan
Your query reminded me of a genuine question Mrs Misty and I once asked a friend of ours who lives in Melbourne. We said what is the most interesting route you have taken between Melbourne and Sydney (really asking but not specifying - direct route or the coast route). Simon answered the most interesting route I have taken is from Melbourne to Bangalore then on to Sydney. The smart fart had really travelled that route ! --- An honest, but unexpected answer !
Misty :lol: :D

PS - we eventually drove the coast route - slowly over three days. Really enjoyed !