PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Issues!

passtheblunt
21-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi,

When I play a movie using windows media player 11, the picture shows but flashes. This problem just started to show recently about a week ago.

I tried other video files - avi, xvid etc...same problem

I removed the codec pack (Vista codec Pack) but the problem still exist.

I dont have any other codecs installed.

I have used this codec for a while without problems..

I have tried playing using vlc and it plays perfectly.

Any ideas or windows media player is just not good?

My System

OS - windows vista business
cpu - amd dual core x2 3800
ram - 1.5gig
hdd - 500gig

cheers

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Well what ever you do don't try WMP11. Have you tried iTunes/Quicktime?
Otherwise the problem could be Vista itself.
Ooops I just re read your post and saw your using WMP11. Dump it.

stu161204
21-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome to PressF1 passtheblunt :D

The_End_Of_Reality
21-06-2007, 08:31 PM
VLC is amazing in the way that it can play almost any file... try getting the latest version of WMP11 and if you do have the latest try reinstalling it...

And DON'T install iTunes... it is bloatware :2cents:

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 08:41 PM
VLC is amazing in the way that it can play almost any file... try getting the latest version of WMP11 and if you do have the latest try reinstalling it...

And DON'T install iTunes... it is bloatware :2cents:

Looks like there must be a few Windows using iTunes customers who would disagree with you TEOR judging by this article.:)

EMI sales climb on iTunes Plus plan
Senior EMI digital executive has confirmed good results in DRM-free music sales
EMI's recently-appointed senior vice president of digital Lauren Berkowitz has confirmed significant success with the company's move to sell DRM-free tracks through iTunes.

Speaking at a US music industry event, Berkowitz confirmed: "The initial results of DRM-free music are good."
EMI began selling its music in high-quality DRM-free format last month. It's unrestricted catalogue is now available for sale from 7Digital and Apple's iTunes. In future, EMI will sell DRM-free music through Amazon and PassAlong Networks.
The other three major labels: Universal, Warner and Sony/BMG are reportedly studying the results of EMI's experiement closely. Those labels still favour rights-restriction in an attempt to protect their content, but market pressure may force them to emulate EMI and join Apple's iTunes Plus service.

Trev
21-06-2007, 09:21 PM
What is wrong with WMP11. I have been useing it since it came out without any problems. Playing DVDs,VCDs,MP3,CDs, think I have burnt CDs with but, normally use Nero.

Trevor :)

passtheblunt
21-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks Stu, glad to be a part of this community. :)

The_End_Of_Reality
21-06-2007, 09:34 PM
What is wrong with WMP11. I have been useing it since it came out without any problems. Playing DVDs,VCDs,MP3,CDs, think I have burnt CDs with but, normally use Nero. Winmacguy, I didn't even bother to read the article because no doubt they would have been forced into using it by apple fanboys and/or are too stupid to know how bad iTunes is :2cents:

I have too Trev, I don't see what peoples problems are with it :rolleyes:

passtheblunt
21-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, ill stick to vlc for now until i sort out this media player problem..

I'm not a fan of windows media player but its good to know how to solve such a problem when users at work experience it..

cheers...

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 09:40 PM
What is wrong with WMP11. I have been useing it since it came out without any problems. Playing DVDs,VCDs,MP3,CDs, think I have burnt CDs with but, normally use Nero.

Its the DRM that you have to manually remove in WMP11 that makes it crap. If it wasn't there it would be OK.

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Winmacguy, I didn't even bother to read the article because no doubt they would have been forced into using it by apple fanboys and/or are too stupid to know how bad iTunes is :2cents:

I have too Trev, I don't see what peoples problems are with it :rolleyes:

Nobody was forcing them to purchase DRM free music from iTunes:rolleyes: Considering that you have to make a choice to download iTunes onto Windows in the first place there are a lot of people who made that choice of their own free will.
Just my :2cents:

The_End_Of_Reality
21-06-2007, 09:54 PM
If there is a better place to DL DRM free music then people will use that if WMP had that ability there would probably be only the poor iPod owners stuck with iTunes... oh thats right... there are alternatives to loading an iPod too.

And I have never ran into the DRM 'issue' :rolleyes:

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 10:13 PM
If there is a better place to DL DRM free music then people will use that if WMP had that ability there would probably be only the poor iPod owners stuck with iTunes... oh thats right... there are alternatives to loading an iPod too.

And I have never ran into the DRM 'issue' :rolleyes:

There could be a "better" place to download DRM free music but I don't see MS chasing it. They are too busy kissing up to the RIAA trying to DRM everything under the sun.
Incidently Apple was the one pushing for DRM free music on iTunes from the word GO and yes your correct, you can play DRM free music from the iTunes store on any aac compatible music player of your choice but for some reason that hasn't stopped people using both devices...

If you want DRM free music without iTunes there are plenty of legal quality MP3 sites as well as Amazon.com that do DRM free music. The DRM free stuff is also a higher quality and bitrate than the DRM'd music

beeswax34
21-06-2007, 11:18 PM
I've been using WMP11 since it came out and I beta tested it as well. I have found absolutely no issues with it. It looks great, very customizable, fast and does exactly what I want it to.

Seriously, Winmacguy, enough of the M$ bashing. Look its not for everyone, but when you go around saying that its c**p, you're basically telling people who choose to use WMP11 that we're almost kind of stupid AS OPPOSED TO Apple forcing ipod users to use iTunes and the same with the iPhone.

PS. Safari sucked

Trev
21-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Don't know what DRM is, don't really care as I have never come across it. I think winmacguy has caught the tall poppy syndrome.

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I

PS. Safari sucked

I don't use Safari either, on Mac or PC.
You only "have" to use iTunes if you want to buy tracks from the iTunes music store, otherwise just use whatever music player suits-even WMP10 since it doesn't come with the default DRM limitations that WMP11 has which is what people have an issue with.
Judging by the media coverage as opposed to advertising hype, no one is being forced to buy an iPhone although I have a feeling a lot of people will be lining up outside AT&T stores on Friday in the US to get one.
Since Apple designed both the iPod and iTunes they are not obliged to open them if they don't want to although having said that making the music DRM free is fairly close to opening up the music store to other hardware devices. MS has created a vertical market with the Zune music player and the Zune music store after the various partnerships for 3rd party media players and WMP "Plays for Sure" failed to take a chunk out of Apple's combo deal. The only catch with that is that MS is still struggling to gain a foot hold after 6 months of mediocre sales.

SurferJoe46
22-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Let's clarify some points..at least for me...

I stream TWIT and almost all of Leo Leporte's streams wherever I can find them, and save them thru Audacity for future playing. Leo's cool with it..as his tirades AGAINST DRMs and his support for proprietary-use laws are obvious, so I know there's no illegal activity on my part for doing it..BTW: I am in the US and this may not apply to NZ..but this (F1) is an international site by use and it is relevant.

As am aside I also use a site called "Rhapsody Radio" from a gadget I got on iGoogle. Let the user beware if they are in a country that doesn't allow streamed data to be saved for archival playing...but this site LEGALLY sends streams at very good rates, 25 FREE songs a month or unlimited amounts if one pays for it, for capture by whatever device/program one might have.

Again, and this might just be a US-thing, I have now joined the Rhapsody system ($) and am free to stream to Audacity as many tunes as I want..the rights to use are in the EULA. They pay for the rights-to-use and collect the fees for the artists and labels.

All the music from this site is non-DRM'd by license and EULA, and I also save it in two different bitrates: 128 and 256. The 128 is for my MP3 player, as it won't accept anything above that. To do that, I run 2 Audacitys in parallel with each other..and that was a hard thing to get running!

Now..the WMP11 player won't even allow "ADD TO LIBRARY: ADD CURRENTLY PLAYING ITEM"" ..can you guess why? There are NO DRMs on them and so WMP11 incorrectly feels they are illegally obtained and punishes me by not allowing them in the system.

I also guess M$ gets a full 20 page report about any activity that I buy and try to save against M$'s better (sic) judgment, every time I boot up.

When I see someone lauding WMP11, I swear..I am gonna get an electronic rubber stamp with the pros and cons of WMP11 and whack it right in the middle of my posts. I don't think there'll be any pros in that column though.

I also am amazed that anyone from NZ would allow the chokehold of WMP11 to get into their system. Youse guys are quite incensed by restrictions (that ol' pioneer spirit thing) on just about anything that circumvents your rights to do as you see fit. I have read the posts by members here who obviously live in NZ..and some of them are righteously indignant over these things.

WMP11 is just another grab for your nether parts that will eventually, castrate and regulate things that should be left alone. DRMs are on the way out..but I just bet you won't be able to get rid of WDRMs once they are in the door and on your harddrives.

Your frogs are coming to a gentle boil right about now. :confused:

The_End_Of_Reality
22-06-2007, 07:17 AM
I've been using WMP11 since it came out and I beta tested it as well. I have found absolutely no issues with it. It looks great, very customizable, fast and does exactly what I want it to.

Seriously, Winmacguy, enough of the M$ bashing. Look its not for everyone, but when you go around saying that its c**p, you're basically telling people who choose to use WMP11 that we're almost kind of stupid AS OPPOSED TO Apple forcing ipod users to use iTunes and the same with the iPhone. Here Here :D :thumbs:

So which is the EASIEST place to get DRM free music? it might well be iTunes... which is probably why people use it and probably because of Apple fanboys pushing them to :rolleyes:... but if MS DID have an online DRM free store I can see the people droping iTunes like last weeks eggs :D

plod
22-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Here Here :D :thumbs:

So which is the EASIEST place to get DRM free music? it might well be iTunes... which is probably why people use it and probably because of Apple fanboys pushing them to :rolleyes:... but if MS DID have an online DRM free store I can see the people droping iTunes like last weeks eggs :D

Very true David, but you have forgotten one thing, MS haven't done it

winmacguy
22-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Here Here :D :thumbs:

That's a very big "IF" TEoR. Considering that Microsoft has tried DRM with it's Plays for Sure wma stores which bombed only to move onto it's highly restrictive DRM on the Zune which has also bombed and the DRM by default on WMP11. Do you ever get the feeling that maybe Microsoft likes restrictive DRM and that they are going to stay on the DRM path? (it keeps the RIAA happy)

The biggest easiest place to get DRM free music would be the iTunes store followed by Amazon I believe as well as a number of MP3 stores that are online.

The_End_Of_Reality
22-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Very true David, but you have forgotten one thing, MS haven't done it Yes, I know they haven't, I said if they did :)

That's a very big "IF" TEoR. Considering that Microsoft has tried DRM with it's Plays for Sure wma stores which bombed only to move onto it's highly restrictive DRM on the Zune which has also bombed and the DRM by default on WMP11. Do you ever get the feeling that maybe Microsoft likes restrictive DRM and that they are going to stay on the DRM path? (it keeps the RIAA happy)

The biggest easiest place to get DRM free music would be the iTunes store followed by Amazon I believe as well as a number of MP3 stores that are online. It might well be, but in the PC world there is nothing that is impossible ;) So what? They obviously didn't do it RIGHT then :rolleyes: There is a 'right', a 'wrong' and a 'not right and not wrong' way to do things... MS obviously hasn't done it the right way have they? :rolleyes: they CAN do it the right way, they have the potential, but IF they do or not is up to them

winmacguy
22-06-2007, 09:07 PM
MS obviously hasn't done it the right way have they? :rolleyes: they CAN do it the right way, they have the potential, but IF they do or not is up to them

Yes they might get it eventually. But why wait for that to happen when eventually could be eternity. I guess it just depends on how many hundreds of millions their share holders are willing to let them waste while they try to gain any form of market share in the online music download business. You never know, they may eventually be forced to follow the rest of the pack and start selling DRM free music when people completely stop buying any music from music stores that only sell MS supported music which is DRM'd and restrictive in how many devices you can play it on. DRM free music coded in aac will play on any device that supports aac (including Creative):)

winmacguy
22-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Oops I just checked. Creative doesn't appear to support aac.:(

The_End_Of_Reality
22-06-2007, 10:08 PM
At least Creative supports more filetypes that Apple :rolleyes: Anything on this PC mediawise my Zen can play :D If I had an iPod EVERYTHING would need converting... what a waste of my time :groan:

winmacguy
22-06-2007, 10:35 PM
At least Creative supports more filetypes that Apple :rolleyes: Anything on this PC mediawise my Zen can play :D If I had an iPod EVERYTHING would need converting... what a waste of my time :groan:

Actually TEoR according to the Creative website the Zen only supports MP3, wma and wav + jpgs
The iPod supports wav,aac,h.264,mp3,apple lossless and aiff which would be more than Creative and it's cross platform. I think your getting confused by the fact that aac is the default codec for the iPod which you just need to change to MP3 if you want to import your tracks in a generic codec that will play on any device.
:)

The_End_Of_Reality
22-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I was talking filetypes in general... including VIDEOS... the iPod only supports MPV, MP4 and MOV where as the Zen supports MPEG 1,2,4 WMV 9, AVI, DivX, Xvid (most common codecs out there!).

Meh, I consider iPods CRAP because you HAVE to change things to what you want and this is not on the threads topic so the disscussion...

>>>>ENDS HERE<<<< >>>>NO ARGUEMENTS<<<<

winmacguy
22-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I think YouTube might be going to change that in the not too distant future. ;)