PDA

View Full Version : Budget LCD - Viewsonic and Dell

jackwass
21-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I live in a house full of laptops and I'm sick of the annoying little screens so I want to buy an affordable monitor to plug in (the laptops all have VGA outs so I assume that won't be a problem).

I will mainly be using it for the usual (internet/Word/etc) but also some photo editing. Having said that it's not like it's colour-critical professional work - I just don't want to use tiny laptop screens that vary so much with viewing angle.

I have seen the Viewsonic ViewSonic VG2021m for around $360 and the basic Dell 19" is around the same. I realise the ViewSonic is slightly larger but that's not a big issue for me.

First question is what is the difference between the same size Dell LCDs (the SE197FP and the E197FP) that justifies the $150 price difference?

Secondly would either of these monitors be decent for what I need?

Thanks!

winmacguy
21-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't see anything wrong with them if your just wanting a bigger screen than your laptop.

FoxyMX
21-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Without checking the specs of those monitors it is often the dead and zero bright pixel warranty that more expensive models have that is the reason for the higher price. Have a look and compare those.

pctek
21-06-2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/519/

Pixel policies Listed here

jackwass
22-06-2007, 10:05 AM
As the article points out it's not so easy to find the companies' policies!

The Dell website states that they don't consider 5 pixels (either dead or bright) a replaceable defect - ie you have to have 6 dead pixels to get an exchange. There seems to be no difference in policy between the cheaper/more expensive models.

The Viewsonic monitor has 30 day no dead pixel and 3 year no bright pixel warranty - so it would be a bit of gamble.

Are dead pixels very annoying/noticeable?

CYaBro
22-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Dead pixels aren't as bad or as noticeable as bright pixels

wratterus
22-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Vewsonic is a good brand, and they have good warranty/dead pixel support. Havn't had experience with Dell, but i know in general dell support (if it breaks) is really dodgy.

pctek
22-06-2007, 12:24 PM
The Viewsonic monitor has 30 day no dead pixel and 3 year no bright pixel warranty - so it would be a bit of gamble.

Are dead pixels very annoying/noticeable?

Actually they have a diagram on their website showing location and numbers considered acceptable. It depends on where they are as much as how many.

It would be annoying in the centre for instance, which is why they require less there than at the corners.

Like a fly spot............

motorbyclist
23-06-2007, 12:46 AM
perhaps the price also reflects the maximum resolution and/or response time?

(no i didn't bother to look and yes i assumed they were lcd)

dell has reputedly bad customer support, viewsonic in my experience is a very reliable brand, both crt and lcd.

johcar
23-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Are dead pixels very annoying/noticeable?I have a relatively new (less than 6 months old) HP widescreen LCD - it very quickly developed a single bright pixel (red) in about the middle of what I would describe as the north-east quandrant of the monitor.

Three bright pixels are considered 'acceptable' by HP.

My own opinion differs by about 300% - a single bright red pixel when trying to watch a movie is VERY distracting.

So, not a damn thing I can do about it, except make a point to the retailer that I will never buy from them again (because that was not made clear at the time of purchase) and would never buy an HP monitor again (unless they change their pixel policy).

johcar
23-06-2007, 01:51 AM
perhaps the price also reflects the maximum resolution and/or response time?

(no i didn't bother to look and yes i assumed they were lcd)

dell has reputedly bad customer support, viewsonic in my experience is a very reliable brand, both crt and lcd.My experience as far as Viewsonic (CRT) goes confirms motorbyclist's comments. They have also rated very well in reviews I have read...

Cicero
23-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Can only say I have a 19" Viewsonic and very pleased.

JJJJJ
23-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I have 19" Viewsonic. More than happy with it.

Anything called dell is junk.

Tony.br
23-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Many (but not all) Philips LCD's have a full 3yr Zero pixel defect policy and have always have good reviews I have never had a probelm with any I have been involved with.

Just check the specs and G/Tee on any model you are interested in

The cheaper models follow industry standards and allow a few defects, the more expensive ones are Zero defect

Greg
23-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Can only say I have a 19" Viewsonic and very pleased.Same here. Mines quite old but I'll be real unhappy when it eventually dies.

Myth
23-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I have only owned a 15" and 17" Viewsonic. Love them :thumbs: Both CRT, but I have heard the LCD's are great also :)

Cicero
23-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I have 19" Viewsonic. More than happy with it.

Anything called dell is junk.

Do we know of anything else
that is the best seller in the world
that can be described as junk.?

Perhaps JJ can help here?

Graham L
23-06-2007, 04:33 PM
"reputedly bad customer support"? Dell (blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/ck-live/2007/06/consumers_june_issue_has_its.html ) seem to satisfy plenty people with their quality.

motorbyclist
24-06-2007, 12:32 AM
"reputedly bad customer support"? Dell (blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/ck-live/2007/06/consumers_june_issue_has_its.html ) seem to satisfy plenty people with their quality.

i didn't say the products were of poor quality, just their customer service (outsourced to india i hear) was/is **** and cost them dearly.

that said imo all dell and hp products are to be avoided like the plauge, they are all under-powered and in the case of hp printers install over a gig of bundled crap while installing "drivers", and then sits using over 30mb of ram even when the printer is unplugged:yuck:

motorbyclist
24-06-2007, 12:34 AM
oh, and seeing as everyone is announcing their viewsonic ownership...

19" LCD and 17" CRT

i used to use a 17" flat CRT philips and that wasn't bad either

Metla
24-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Do we know of anything else
that is the best seller in the world
that can be described as junk.?

Perhaps JJ can help here?

Mcdonalds
N'Sync
PS2

motorbyclist
24-06-2007, 12:42 AM
and xbox, wii, ipod, ipod nano, ipod shuffle ;)

winmacguy
24-06-2007, 01:05 AM
wii, ipod, ipod nano, ipod shuffle ;)

Very successful lot of "junk" if I do say so myself. ;)

motorbyclist
24-06-2007, 01:33 AM
lol i know it's sad isn't it

motorbyclist
24-06-2007, 01:34 AM
do you search the forum for "ipod", "apple" and "mac" or something? (nice to see you left xbox out or "sucessful", i'm sure sales figures would dare to argue)

Cicero
24-06-2007, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=Metla;563557]Mcdonalds
N'Sync
PS2[/QUOTE

Point taken.

jackwass
28-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Not surprisingly, I went with Viewsonic. Got it 2 days ago and so far have used it for photos, DVDs, etc and the quality improvement over laptop screens is amazing. The viewing angle and refresh rate are really good as well, which were something I was a little concerned about.

motorbyclist
28-06-2007, 04:36 PM
:D

holy crap i just actually had a look and i didn't realise that was a 20" monitor... for $360 i want one too!

jackwass
29-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I was shocked at how low prices for decent BIG LCDs are now.

waiton
29-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Where did you get it from? I've got a 22" Viewsonic but had to get it from Aussie cos it was about $200 cheaper then (last year). $360 for 20" is real good!

jackwass
29-06-2007, 10:09 AM
It was on special at Ascent - $364 or thereabouts with the discount. At the standard price it's $385, which still isn't bad.

I have seen it on Pricespy for as low as $350 though.

motorbyclist
29-06-2007, 01:38 PM
is it widescreen? the one i saw on the viewsonic website wasn't but all the ones on pricespy are :annoyed:

cus then i can have a 20" lcd primary and a 19" lcd secondary :D... then again i'd need to find somewhere to put my printer (currently sitting on top of my 17"crt lol)

jackwass
30-06-2007, 12:05 PM
No, not widescreen (if you ask me!) - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348012

sal
01-07-2007, 10:09 PM
No, not widescreen (if you ask me!) - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348012

Your right Jack, that res. is of standard 4:3 aspect ration, the same as my notebook (1400x1050).

supertrouper
02-07-2007, 01:04 AM
I bought a Viewsonic monitor from one of these places that doesn't keep stock on hand, but sends you down to the "supplier" to pick the goods up after you have paid for them.

Well, this monitor had a bright pixel from straight out of the box, and I called the outlet who said to take it back to the supplier.

So off I go to the supplier.

What a drama. I had 3 different people dealing with me at one point, then they obviously all thought the other one was dealing with me, so half an hour later no one had sorted it. Then they couldn't find the paperwork and wanted me to come back the next day after they had printed it out??

I gave them a curry-up and said "Hey, it's faulty, just replace it!" - and they made me wait another 20 minutes while they mucked around some more.

Altogether, shoddy service. I WILL NOT deal with them again nor will I buy from anyone who is supplied from them. [Just the other day I ordered a product from a different shop, and it took 4 days to get to me - turns out it was supplied by the same company who I had the monitor issue with].

For what it's worth, the "supplier" is 'SYNNEX' in East Tamaki.

Very poorly organised company, bad service all round. They are NOT customer oriented at all.

motorbyclist
02-07-2007, 03:23 PM
why did the seller even send you to them? i mean their markup that you're paying is meant to cover the cost of them supplying the product in the first place. who was the retailer?

supertrouper
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
The place I bought the monitor through was "Digital Shop" - and I must point out here that their service was faultless. They are very helpful and this post in no way reflects on them badly.

The place I got the hard drive from was "Elive". Their service was not quite so good. I placed the order Monday, yet they did not process it until the following day - which in my opinion isn't good enough.
They did respond and say that they were snowed under and understaffed - and that this situation was about to change, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

However, between their tardiness and the slackness of Synnex, it took four days to get a hard drive from them to a destination within an hour's drive of Auckland!

Digital Shop does offer the option of pick-up from their outlet, or you can go to the "supplier" (warehouse) and pick it up yourself.

Elive I think only offers couriered delivery.

pctek
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I bought a Viewsonic monitor from one of these places that doesn't keep stock on hand, but sends you down to the "supplier" to pick the goods up after you have paid for them.

Well, this monitor had a bright pixel from straight out of the box, and I called the outlet who said to take it back to the supplier.

So off I go to the supplier.

What a drama. I had 3 different people dealing with me at one point, then they obviously all thought the other one was dealing with me, so half an hour later no one had sorted it. Then they couldn't find the paperwork and wanted me to come back the next day after they had printed it out??

I gave them a curry-up and said "Hey, it's faulty, just replace it!" - and they made me wait another 20 minutes while they mucked around some more.

For what it's worth, the "supplier" is 'SYNNEX' in East Tamaki.

Very poorly organised company, bad service all round. They are NOT customer oriented at all.

I'm amazed they even attended to you at all. They are a wholesaler, not a retailer. They do NOT deal with the general public.
They were probably all out the back ringing this crap shop asking why the hell they sent you down there in the first place.

They are also one of my suppliers and always, always give me excellent prompt service. But then I don't send customers to them.

motorbyclist
03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm amazed they even attended to you at all. They are a wholesaler, not a retailer. They do NOT deal with the general public.
They were probably all out the back ringing this crap shop asking why the hell they sent you down there in the first place.

They are also one of my suppliers and always, always give me excellent prompt service. But then I don't send customers to them.

see that's what i was thinking; what was the retailer doing sending you to a supplier? you pay the retailer to do that thing, and the supplier is only responsible for importing the goods....

supertrouper
05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
see that's what i was thinking; what was the retailer doing sending you to a supplier? you pay the retailer to do that thing, and the supplier is only responsible for importing the goods....

Well, this seems to be quite a common way of doing business up here in Auckland now. The retailer does not need to keep stock on hand - which lowers their overheads and means their sell price is proportionately lower.

There are at least 3 companies I can think of that are operating like this.

To my way of thinking it isn't the right way to do business - I agree that customers should not be sent to the supplier or the warehouse, but this is the way they are doing it so who am I to suggest otherwise?