PDA

View Full Version : Something is up with my connection!

EvilWalksWithMe
21-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi all.

I'm current on TelstraClear's cable internet plan (10mb/s down & 2.5mb/s up) and I love the performance this connection provides. Especially for online gaming, being able to host games on Xbox360 with American and English players in the match with no lag at all!

Anyway, I'm currently clogging up the cable with hosting a Gears of War match, downloading a few torrents, and a large file from Microsoft.com. I decided to do a speedtest anyway, and got the following results.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/142831045.png

Why has my download speed spiked so high? I'm consistantly clearing 11000kbps every test almost. Has TelstraClear raised the speeds or something?

wratterus
21-06-2007, 08:05 AM
faaaark.... u are one lucky bugger!!!!!:horrified Im not sure why the spikes, but that's some seriously quick ADSL.

CYaBro
21-06-2007, 08:20 AM
It's a cable connection not ADSL.

wratterus
21-06-2007, 08:21 AM
It's a cable connection not ADSL.

Cough:blush: It's early in the morning....:o

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Ring Telstra and find out.

ronyville
21-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Why has my download speed spiked so high? I'm consistantly clearing 11000kbps every test almost. Has TelstraClear raised the speeds or something?

And you are complaining!!! Dude I would KILL for a connection like yours. Everyone on here cries about how slow their download speed is. So enjoy it while you have it. :thumbs:

EvilWalksWithMe
21-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining... not even close. Was just curious as to if Telstra had raised the speeds across the board on their cable plans without announcing anything or if i'm just rather lucky?

PaulD
21-06-2007, 09:58 AM
They've just put in some new equipment. Probably testing at the moment, make the most of it before the brakes go on again or the fees go up.

"The company will offer customers speeds of up to 25 Mbps (megabits per second) downstream by the end of the year. This is an increase on the company’s fastest existing plan which offers speeds of up to 10 Mbps."

beeswax34
21-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Do you need a house guest??? Most people here would give a lot to even get close to that speed, cable or no cable.

EvilWalksWithMe
21-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Do you need a house guest??? Most people here would give a lot to even get close to that speed, cable or no cable.

In a few months yeah, but for now... no sorry ;)

It costs a bit but I fell it's well worth it as the speeds seem consistant and I don't suffer the lag issues with Xbox Live gaming that many kiwi's seem to experience when playing with Americans and English players.

After reading a previous post stating they are uping it to 25mb/s i'm even happier. I was a little bummed when I read telecom is soon to release ADSL2+ with speeds around that mark... thought I might be missing out, but it seems not.

Thanks for the comments :)

xandrosx
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
You will find that it is not actually performing at that speed. it is something to do with speed test. You will find that you are receiving a steady 1100-1200KB/s thats approximately 10megabits a second. As long as the server can upload that fast. I find quite often that on the connection Speedtest.net reports sub ten megabit speeds however downloading from an International High Speed Server I have access to it downloads steadily at 1200KB/s. Approx Ten Megabit no matter what time we use it. As cable connections are not limited by distance. Just by the ammount of users in our hub but telstra seem to give us enough bandwidth for our connections.