PDA

View Full Version : Noisey fan.

newb.
20-06-2007, 03:06 PM
My computer just seems to be getting noisier and noiser... I was wondering; if I change the fan, will this reduce the ambient noise?

wratterus
20-06-2007, 03:09 PM
probably... open up your case and stop each of the fans in turn; see which is the noisest. give it a good blow out with a vacuum cleaner or something to get rid of dust.. also try a bit of WD40 or CRC on the fan. (usuaully a sticker on the back of the fan comes off and you can squirt some of it in there). thats only a short term fix though, u will most likely need a new fan(s) if the noise is too loud.

It's not unusuall for older fans to crap out.

ronyville
20-06-2007, 03:14 PM
The fan might be working extra hard due the high temperature inside the case hence the noisy fan. Open up your case and see if the fan and the heat sink have accumulated a lot of dust on them. If they have than pull them out and give them a good clean. Also check the PSU fan just in case. The cpu fan do have a life expectancy and do need to be changed.

CAUTION: If you dont know your way around the inside of the case than please dont just start pulling out stuff. You will regret it later. Get someone who knows to do it for you.

somebody
20-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Something like a silicon-based lubricant would probably be better than a penetrating-oil type (e.g. WD40, CRC etc.) for use in a computer. To be perfectly honest, I've never been able to make a fan quieter by adding some form of lubricant - it seems that if the fan hasn't been constructed well (cheap bearings, not centred properly), it'll just be noisy, and get noisier as it wears.

SurferJoe46
20-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I got away for a month or two with automatic transmission fluid..1/2 of a drop inside the CPU fan bearings.

I think I ruined the bearing by using very high air pressure on it when I blew out to fins. Try to stick a finger on the fans when you blow them out..it wasn't the pressure...but the speed the fan got up to that destroyed it I think.

It sounded kewl though as it revved up. My bad!

Cicero
20-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Mate,new and probably better fans the way to go.

beeswax34
20-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Water cooling anyone:D?

wratterus
20-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Water cooling anyone:D?

Exactly. I spent over $500 just to stop noisy fans!!!!:lol: (my sig...) my pc now cools the room rater than heating it. Great in summer, but hopeless in the winter.

apsattv
20-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Locate the noisy fan use the "stop with your finger method"

If a case fan is a problem , Replace with a Glacialtech of the same size.

Most fans can be better controlled using speedfan software. though it can be a little complicated to setup. You can also use this to find out which fan is the noisy one by manually overiding the speed.

motorbyclist
20-06-2007, 11:28 PM
my pc now cools the room rater than heating it. Great in summer, but hopeless in the winter. what? neither air nor water cooling will cool your room, both systems take heat away from the circutry by transferring it to the air. a water system just take is to the air via water through the radiator. even your fridge heats the room

It sounded kewl though as it revved up. My bad!

haha i thought the same thing when i took my pc to work to give it a high-pressure clean

Cicero
20-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I have my fans linked to fridge,but not what was asked for in original question.

motorbyclist
20-06-2007, 11:50 PM
My computer just seems to be getting noisier and noiser... I was wondering; if I change the fan, will this reduce the ambient noise?

yus

cleaning may have similar effect

newb.
21-06-2007, 04:49 AM
ok guys, i'll try giving it a good clean with some compressed air and then maybe replace the fans whenever i get the money...

thanks for the replies!

Cicero
21-06-2007, 05:08 PM
ok guys, i'll try giving it a good clean with some compressed air and then maybe replace the fans whenever i get the money...

thanks for the replies!

Good conclusion except get fans when dosh to hand,not maybe.

Ask daddy,he will understand if I said so.