PDA

View Full Version : Reboot and select proper boot device etc.

Chatcliff
20-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Hi, I purchased a secondhand desktop online a few months back and it seemed really good tempered. The first and only thing to happen was, on bootup, I received the Reboot and select proper boot device.
I have checked the boot sequence in the bios but noticed that it does not recognise the hard drive. Advice please, does this mean I need to replace the HDD?
I dont know too much spec on this machine but it has a ASRock P4i65G board, IBM Deskstar drive and has XP pro loaded.

pctek
20-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Check the hard drive has the jumper on the back set to master. Check the cable is connected properly at both the drive end and motherboard end.

Chatcliff
20-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for replying pctek, I have done what you suggested and all connections and settings seem to be ok.
The booting goes as far as 'Auto detecting ide' then after a pause shows the 'Reboot ...' message. On the IDE configuration page in the BIOS, Primary IDE Master and Slave are not detected.
When scanning through other threads with similar problems the end result seems to be a motherboard or HHD problem. If this is my problem, can you please tell me if I can narrow it down to one or the other?
Thanks again for your help so far!

beama
20-06-2007, 10:09 PM
A long shot but has worked for me in the past

do you know how to set a hard drive up manually in the bios.

all the information you need to this will be on the hard drive casing...
cylinders, sectors and so forth.
Change the auto in the harddrive detect area of the bios to manual and apply those settings.

or slave the drive in another pc and see if it recognized by the bios of that pc if so start looking at cables, ide ports etc on the other one

Chatcliff
20-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Trying it as a slave in another computer is a good idea. I'm off to find a stray comp. now.
Thanks beama.
You folks are just so helpful!!

johnd
21-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Also - the fault is not necessarily in the HDD - could be in the IDE channel on the MthBd

the_bogan
21-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Have you checked your pins in the hard drive? I mean the ones that set whether it's a slave or a master.

I've found through prior experience that two non-set master/slave drives just make the bios confused.

Graham L
22-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Before changing anything, just make sure that the cable connectors are properly inserted in the sockets. Anything which has been transported can end up with partially inserted connectors.

Assume that it was once jumpered correctly so that it worked. That won't have changed in transport. :D

Chatcliff
22-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'll check everything suggested and try it as a slave drive in another computer. If it is recognized, then I guess the problem maybe with the motherboard yeah? I'm a bit worried about setting the drive up manually - could end up making things worse!
Thanks again and I'll be back soon with an update.