PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connected but laptop oblivious

Ming S
19-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I have an Acer TravelMate 290 laptop with onboard wireless using Windows XP Professional. At home/work I use an ADSL router to connect to Xtra broadband. When I am at a wireless hub, eg the local library, I switch wireless on and go through the process to connect to broadband. In 'Networks' I can see I am connected, and the Xtra helpdesk confirms I am logged in at their end and all systems are go.

But the laptop seems to have other ideas. Email (Eudora) and browser (Firefox) continually insist I am not connected and despite spending ages online with Xtra trying tweaking various settings nothing seems to have worked.

It's very embarrassing whispering into my mobile to the helpdesk at the library (trying to keep my password and user name confidential too) and would be grateful for any ideas anyone has.

Ming

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Is this laptop a work one?? Or yours?

It not using a proxy or something in the browser is it?

CYaBro
20-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Welcome to PressF1!

When you are at home is it connected via wireless or network cable? And it works fine?

What info do you get, for the wireless card, if you go to a command prompt and type in:

ipconfig /all

Any firewall software on the laptop that needs to be told about the new network?