PDA

View Full Version : firefox looses bookmark and ad-on settings

heni72847
18-06-2007, 03:13 PM
um...happened again today
the second time that has happened ever since I started using firefox (from ver 1)..

didn't use the comp much last night
didn't do anything special on the comp lately
but..launched firefox today and lost all my bookmarks and ad-on settings and preferences

history is still there so are cookies..just the bookmarks goes missing which freaks me out

but of course just like last time I digged into my setting folder and bring out firefox's own bookmark backups..and everything is fine again

but still weird and unexplained
I can't seem to find a link between firefox loosing stuff and what I've done on the comp..it just happens randomly..luckily this is pretty rare

anyway..just asking if this happened to anyone else?
because going into C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*.default\bookmarkba ckups
to just to bring back stuff firefox decided to loose isn't really nice for an normal user..

Tyroneb
18-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Happens all the time, especially when ff is open and then you forget to shut windows down and just switch the power off. The worst bit is when you need that bookmark for some essay or something and can't remember what you searched on Google to get it

SurferJoe46
18-06-2007, 03:48 PM
anyway..just asking if this happened to anyone else?
because going into C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*.default\bookmarkba ckups
to just to bring back stuff firefox decided to loose isn't really nice for an normal user..

Create a shortcut to it on the desktop if you are having this trouble all the time.

I have never had this problem..in over, (what?)...5 or 6 years now.

Are you sure you don't have a spoof running or some sort of parallel program universe into which your settings go?

beeswax34
18-06-2007, 05:13 PM
This used to happen to me because FF kept reverting to the default profile in which only the FF bookmarks are there and there are no add-on's installed.

I think you need to select which profile you want FF to run off or if it has been deleted, create another one (I'm sure someone can tell you how to do this).

I did that and it worked after that. No idea why it happened though.

Jen
18-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Moved the thread to the correct forum ...

heni72847
18-06-2007, 06:28 PM
the thing about what happens on my computer is that the profile is the same
except settings lost and bookmarks gone
I'm just glad that ff makes a folder full of bookmark backups..

annie
18-06-2007, 08:24 PM
There is an extension called PlainOldFavorites which lets you use (and add to) your IE favourites from within Firefox. Since I installed this 3 or 4 years ago I haven't lost any bookmark entries. Also easier to find and back up than firefox favorites.