PDA

View Full Version : Notebook will not start

mouse07
18-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I have a Toshiba 2000, running XP, but will only turn on intermittantly. When I press the start button on AC power the battery light flickers off and the "slim bay" green light flickers on briefly. I have removed the battery and also the CD/DVD drive from the slim bay. I have got it turned on this morning after many tries but no luck yesterday.
Any thoughts or is it a new notebook required?

Renmoo
18-06-2007, 02:11 PM
If notebook = new, then action = return it back to the supplier.

Cheers :)

SolMiester
18-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Could be a crak on the power module where it connects to the mobo, those jacks arent very strong, does the power lead wobble a bit when connected?

If so, not much you can do, when the board is cold the crack is too big to allow a current to breach the gap, when warm/hot, no worries.....

Prolly cost too much to fix, treat yourself to new one...

Graham L
18-06-2007, 05:44 PM
SM: hey ... just spend a thousand or so on a new one? Must be nice to be rich. :D

If the power supply is external and has a removable mains cable, unplug and replug that, making sure it's right in.

If it's new enough to be under guarantee, back to the shop.

mouse07
21-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Thankyou for the replies - notebook is 4 years old, Toshiba suggest I need a new power board for allup incl labour $500. Certainly not worth doing - but perhaps someone can suggest a cheaper alternative to keep my machine operating. I have managed to get it started the last couple of days but it takes many tries of pushing the button!!

beeswax34
21-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, you need to ask yourself if its worth the hassle (either opening it up or keep pushing the button lots) or simply get a new one. I mean they retail for as low as $899 nowadays so they aren't that expensive.

SolMiester
21-06-2007, 04:56 PM
SM: hey ... just spend a thousand or so on a new one? Must be nice to be rich. :D

If the power supply is external and has a removable mains cable, unplug and replug that, making sure it's right in.

If it's new enough to be under guarantee, back to the shop.

Like I said, the power module to the board!!, Not much you can do to fix....

If you have to spend $500 on a 4 yr old laptop, I know what I'd be doing!

Oh, and I'm not rich, just practical. 4 yrs for a computer, especially a laptop is pretty good considering they are quite vulnerable to damage.....

Graham L
21-06-2007, 05:39 PM
But you were assuming a major hardware fault. I suggested a possible "simple" problem, of the sort I prefer to eliminate before looking at expensive things.

I noticed that an iBook has an easily replaceable power input socket.

I have a laptop which has a similar starting problem. I'm not looking forward to repairing it. It's not a "cracked board" . I doubt if this one is that simple too.

supertrouper
22-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I repaired an NEC LaVie notebook for a client a couple of weeks ago that had a dodgy power supply connector.
Heck, it took me 2 hours just to get the damn thing disassembled.

NEC (well, their agent VisualGroup) did send me some info but it didn't relate to this notebook and was of no help at all.

I just had to nut it out and hope that nothing broke in the process.

After completely dismantling the unit to get the mobo out and effecting the repair, I then partially reassembled the machine to check that it worked.

It didn't. I had missed something.

Complete disassemble again!

Sort the problem, complete reassemble. All good.

Total time = 4 hours.

Economically the job wasn't worth it but they needed to use the machine again so I agreed to do it.

These days with the low price of technology, you really have to look twice before repairing stuff.

johcar
23-06-2007, 02:06 AM
If you have to replace it (and want another Tosh), try Graysonline. If you're lucky, you might get a good "newish" Tosh for a good price...

Graham L
23-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I have found the problem in my laptop. The problem wasn't in my laptop. :D It was the power supply unit. Its LED comes on, and stays on. The laptiop starts to boot sometimes, sometimes not. It might start or even finish the POST, and even start booting. Then the screen goes black. The PSU sits there with its LED glowing, looking smug, I'd have preferred the LED to flicker or go out. :mad:

In desperation (before delving inside the computer) I fished out my DC-DC converter and a 12V gel battery. No problem. :cool:

SolMiester
23-06-2007, 05:03 PM
But you were assuming a major hardware fault. I suggested a possible "simple" problem, of the sort I prefer to eliminate before looking at expensive things.

I noticed that an iBook has an easily replaceable power input socket.

I have a laptop which has a similar starting problem. I'm not looking forward to repairing it. It's not a "cracked board" . I doubt if this one is that simple too.

Whatever Graham, my assumption was correct.....

Graham L
24-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I wonder if Toshiba tried another PSU.