PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good idea to do a bios update??

Rayman
17-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I've just build a system recently, and am woundering if it's worth updating the bios. Is it a worth while thing to do??
As I'm haveing a few teething problems, as motherboard fans stop spinning now and then after post checks.
Do you think a bios update will fix this??

Chilling_Silence
18-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Ive never had to do a BIOS update so I cant comment directly. I would be inclined to look into the heat of your CPU etc when it does this. Do they come back on after a minute or so?

Vince
18-06-2007, 04:53 AM
I did a BIOS update a couple of years ago, and when I mentioned it here I was told that it is not a good idea because 1 update in 10 fails, rendering the motherboard usless!:eek:

Tony.br
18-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I have only done one and it was at the instigation of the importer

Although I followed instructions to the letter, it failed and they had to replace the MB

I have never been game to do one since

If the MB is new, talk to your supplier. It is their problem.

wratterus
18-06-2007, 09:11 AM
It's not a good idea, unless you have an issue that could possibly be solved by a bios update... i've only ever had one [update] fail, and the mobo was half stuffed anyway so it wasn't a biggie...more like a last gasp affort gone wrong. But with the several hundred i would have done to try to fix problems, one or two may have actually solved the problem, the rest did nothing.

But if you are gonna do an update i'd say definitley do it from dos (boot off a floppy) it's a lot safer than in an OS.

:cool: Good luck!

zcc
18-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I've just build a system recently, and am woundering if it's worth updating the bios. Is it a worth while thing to do??
As I'm haveing a few teething problems, as motherboard fans stop spinning now and then after post checks.

I have just done one (a bios update) to fix ipod related issues...

Be very very sure you have the right bios for your motherboard or you could end up in MB hell....

Also dont forget to update all drivers for your motherboard afterwards....

I would not update the bios unless it was recommended as a solution to a problem you are having, double double check that a bios update will fix your problem...

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Also dont forget to update all drivers for your motherboard afterwards....

You dont have to update the drivers. The drivers have nothing to do with updating the BIOS.

I've never heard of updating the drivers or updated the drivers myself after updating the BIOS. I wouldnt waste my time.

Just as long as u go back into the BIOS after, and set it to its default settings, and reconfigure the BIOS.

bob_doe_nz
18-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I've done about 4 items which I flashed the bios. 2 DVD drives and two motherboards.

The motherboards I flashed due to specific issues (TV tuner) and the DVD drives I did to make em region free.

I borked one of the DVD drives by accident (This was in 2000) so had to toss it.

Lesson 1: Bugger getting region free DVD drives and just use VLC.

Lesson 2: Flashing your motherboard is a last resort if you need to repair incompatibility problems with hardware conflicts

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2007, 10:40 AM
DVD's and cd's have their own firmware. Which would most probably fix their prob.

You just have to be careful with "hacked" firmware, or u may end up with a dead as a dodo DVD too.

pctek
18-06-2007, 01:47 PM
You dont have to update the drivers. The drivers have nothing to do with updating the BIOS.
I've never heard of updating the drivers or updated the drivers myself after updating the BIOS..

Well. My last board, to use dual core required a BIOS update. It also said I had to update the chipset driver as well.

Depends what its meant to be fixing I guess.

Sweep
18-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Way back in earlier days I updated a BIOS for a person who bought a bigger hard drive than the BIOS could use.

It worked but the operating system could not recognise the full capacity unless several partitions were made.

Also make absolutely CERTAIN that no person could cut off power whilst updating. Whether by lightning, flood, passing driver hitting a power pole, a Possum in your transformer or for any other reason whatsoever.

I doubt your problems are BIOS related.

SurferJoe46
18-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I had gotten a payloaded problem that was going to render my BIOS dead....

It was the W95.CIH.damaged trojan and I had until April15th, and that was in 2005 to get rid of it.

I used the same computer to go online and get a reflash program from SOYO, and they freely let me bring it as a download...I think it was a iso version.

It required 4 floppies to get enough space to get all the commands and such, and when we did it (my son and I) it was very nerve-wracking.

He hadn't ever re-flashed a BIOS before, but the instructions were very good...intelligently written and easy to follow if one had a little geek-o in them .

This is the same computer that I am using now...so it worked.

So...there are reasons to reflash a BIOS...there are a lot of different reasons, but I don't see it as necessary unless something is broken or about to be.

Big John
18-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I update all my BIOS's when updates are available because they are usually updated for good reasons and those are usually small bugs in the original code or to make hardware work better or make it work that was not before.

The thing you have to make sure of is to ensure you have the correct version of the BIOS for your motherboard. If you don't the results could mean a lot of work. I have never had a BIOS burn fail yet that could not be recovered by doing another burn on it but then I do use Gigabyte Dual BIOS boards mostly.

zcc
18-06-2007, 04:03 PM

I've never heard of updating the drivers or updated the drivers myself after updating the BIOS. I wouldnt waste my time.

Just as long as u go back into the BIOS after, and set it to its default settings, and reconfigure the BIOS.

I think you will find that the drivers often go together with the bios update. Intel motherboards seem to operate this way thats why I said it. Well for DG965WH anyway.

mejobloggs
18-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I've done about 3 motherboard updates I think. Sorta... just for fun :p

Rayman
18-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all your comments guys, Updateing the bios sound a little risky.
The lastest bios update for my bios says major reasons for update are: Adjust for 65nm cpu o.c. What does all that mean? Do I need to do it?

As for the motherboard fans they don't start up after a couple of minutes, I've got to restart the computer about three times before they stay on.

Graham L
18-06-2007, 06:24 PM
No you don't need the latest BIOS update. It is UNWISE to overclock a system which isn't working correctly, even if you have a CPU with 65nm layout. :D

zcc
19-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Maybe you should buy a fan controller?

I know more $$$ but it might be safer than bios things...

The 65 nm cpu confuses me... sounds like the size of the die used to make the CPU and thats not much to do with your fans thats for sure.

Any forums for your MB about?

PaulD
19-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Based on the "Adjust for 65nm cpu o.c." it's a DFI MB. There haven't been any updates related to fans or temp control.

The default is for fan speed to be varied according to temperature. At this time of year the fans will be going as slow as they are ever likely to be. Assuming you are using the correct fan headers for each fan, you could change your settings to have a fixed fan speed to see if that changes anything.