PDA

View Full Version : Only one phone rings since I got new computer

Beemer
17-06-2007, 05:03 PM
We have a phone in the garage plus three extensions inside, and broadband. I've had broadband for over a year and until recently ALL phones would ring when an incoming call was made. In February I replaced my computer and I've got a funny feeling that was when only the main phone connection would ring. Nothing has changed on any of the other phones and the filters are the same as the ones that were there before, but only the one phone rings. We live in the country and it's a pain as the main phone is in the kitchen so if you are outside, the one in the garage doesn't ring so calls are being missed. The one in my study doesn't ring either, so if there is any noise outside, I can miss the main phone ringing.

All the phones are working - even if they don't ring, you can pick up and make calls from them, so does anyone have any idea what the problem is? The only other thing plugged in is my AC Nielsen homescan transmitter, which I was assured would not interfere with my phone line. I wondered if that was causing it but my husband reckons it was doing it before then, so I'm still lost as to the cause of the silent phones!

I did a search and found another thread along these lines but the problem I'm having is that only one phone rings whereas before all of them did. Two of the phones are older ones, but they both rang before!

winmacguy
17-06-2007, 05:17 PM
If you have got Broadband it might be the modem. We have the same problem with the Telecom supplied modem where the phone at the modem jack point seems to "chirp" periodically possibly due to bad line filtering. We just unplugged the phone and use the cordless one since i can't be bothered paying extra cash for a different modem.

annie
17-06-2007, 05:35 PM
We had this problem a couple of times. Once before we had broadband access, but had 3 extensions - Telecom told us that if you have too many phones on the line, this can happen. Solution is to unplug one. Which we did.

Then when we got adsl broadband, (new house, two phone extensions), same thing happened again. Telecom told us again we'd overloaded things, and got us to install filters (or splitters or something) which fixed the problem, at least most of the time.

You may need to lose one of your phone extensions

winmacguy
17-06-2007, 06:49 PM
You may need to lose one of your phone extensions

Or get a better modem/router that filters the line properly.

pctek
17-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Disconnect all equipment plugged into a jackpoint e.g. double adaptors, extension cords, fax machines, etc. Allow for at least 30 seconds to elapse to reset the line. Then plug phones back into jackpoints one at a time whilst checking after each new piece of equipment is plugged in.

Are your jackpoints all 2 wire or are some 3 wire???

3-wire systems use a master socket as the first, and secondary sockets for the rest. Master sockets have a gas discharge lightning protector and a capacitor and resistor which feed the separate ringing wire and give a standard termination for line testing from the exchnage.

The blue ringer circuit is generated from one wire of the pair , thru a capacitor at the Master socket, to tap off the 16.666 Hz ringer AC for the rest of the house.

You can get problems if you put a 2 wire socket onto a 3 wire system. as it shorts out the ringer circuit for the rest of the house.

On a 2 wire circuit, the ringing function is internal to the phone.

Beemer
18-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Gosh, pctek, you kinda lost me there! The house is about 10 years old (we are the second owners so don't know about the wiring, etc) and has a phone connection in the dining room, one in two of the three bedrooms (unfortunately NOT the one I use as my study!) and another in the garage.

Currently we have the main (cordless) phone plugged in at the dining room outlet, plus a phone each in the bedroom and study (using an extension, with the broadband coming through that as well) and all have filters. The one in the garage is a second cordless handset only, it is only plugged in to a power socket, not a phone outlet. The one in the bedroom has the Homescan thing plugged into it as well, using a double adaptor.

I'll try unplugging one as I could have the cordless one in the study during the day. The phone I have in here at present isn't that good and I often get people saying they can hardly hear me. The main reason I had an ordinary phone there in the first place is for when I am doing phone interviews because I could use a headset and not get a sore neck!