PDA

View Full Version : Video capture

DeSade
17-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I got a friend that has asked me what card he needs to transfer video image from vcr and cam-corder footage.

I know nothing about this area, can anyone suggest products makes/models etc.

winmacguy
17-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I assume he is on Windows XP?
Generally you use Firewire to capture video. You can use USB but Firewire is better suited as it has a higher sustained transfer rate of 400Mbps. he would also need a video card but I am not sure on what brand is best.
He would then need a decent video editing program such as Adobe Premier Elements, Nero Video, or Ulead Studio ( I think it is called). Of those I would probably go for Adobe Premier Elements but other forum members may have their own ideas.
There are free apps available but they don't contain all of the features that you need for editing. He would also need a minimum 1GB of RAM and a decent HD of say 160GB+. He could do it with less but you just have to wait longer when editing.

Metla
17-06-2007, 04:54 PM
To transfer footage from a VCR to a PC you will need a capture card with AV inputs, Your best bet is to get one with an onboard hardware decoder. This will spit it out as DVD compatible mpeg, causing little strain on the system and garenting a usable and reasonable quality end product.

The same applies if the cam-corder is an older model and only has AV-output, If its less then about 5 years old it may(should) have output via firewire, which means provided you have or are prepared to install a firewire port in your PC you can simply plug it in and fire up Windows Movie maker to start the process.

Speedy Gonzales
17-06-2007, 04:57 PM
You can use a TV tuner with video in.

And hopefully the program that comes with it or that u can get, has the video in option in it. Then all u do is switch it to the option and record.

Just remember to plug in sound or u wont get sound.

beeswax34
17-06-2007, 11:27 PM
You can use a TV tuner with video in.

And hopefully the program that comes with it or that u can get, has the video in option in it. Then all u do is switch it to the option and record.

Just remember to plug in sound or u wont get sound.

This works brilliantly:D If you have a TV Tuner card that is. I do it all the time and the quality is fine and I can choose from a number of formats to capture in.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2007, 10:22 AM
This works brilliantly:D If you have a TV Tuner card that is. I do it all the time and the quality is fine and I can choose from a number of formats to capture in.

I used to till the VCR died :D

I think this tuner is 1/2 dead, (from a few yrs ago when the power point this PC is plugged into fried the previous CPU which was replaced by Intel).

The leadtek program that came with it used to say it wasnt compat with WMP 11 (even tho Leadtek said WMP 11 works with the latest version of their program). I gave up trying, with the Leadtek program.

So, at the mo, I'm using Powercinema.