PDA

View Full Version : Powershot A550

legod
16-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a Canon Powershot A550.
I would like to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer.
However, I don't have the original installation CD or a card reader.
Canon don't seem to provide drivers on their website. Instead, they only offer update utilities to update the software that they presume you already installed from their CD. Their update utility is for 'zoombrowser' and it's a hefty 38mb download.
Windows XP does not recognise the camera and asks for drivers.

I'm a bit frustrated with this so if anyone can help, I'd be very happy.

I would have thought downloading photos from a camera (particularly a Canon who have such a great rep for digi cams), would be a simple case of plug in and go on windows xp. It's very frustrating that Canon doesn't provide a simple driver download.

Bantu
16-06-2007, 11:03 AM
If you have the USB cable plug in the camera to the USB port. Look in Windows Explorer or My Computer and it should create another drive letter. Your photos should show up there like another hard drive.

Just use drag and drop to put them on another drive.

Also software on http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010423.asp
That will read your camera when you plug it in also, it does with mine.

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2007, 11:11 AM
If you have the USB cable plug in the camera to the USB port. Look in Windows Explorer or My Computer and it should create another drive letter. Your photos should show up there like another hard drive.

Just use drag and drop to put them on another drive.

Also software on http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010423.asp
That will read your camera when you plug it in also, it does with mine.

But does yours have the drivers installed as well??

Thats what he's after.

legod
16-06-2007, 11:15 AM
When I plug the camera in, up pops the 'found new hardware' wizard.

winmacguy
16-06-2007, 11:22 AM
If you go into My Computer does it show up as another drive? If it does you should be able to make a shortcut to the desktop, otherwise check that you have the updated drivers for it.

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2007, 11:26 AM
If you go into My Computer does it show up as another drive? If it does you should be able to make a shortcut to the desktop, otherwise check that you have the updated drivers for it.

Hello anyone home. The drivers is what he hasn't got, if u didnt read the first post.

winmacguy
16-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry

Safari
16-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Canon don't seem to provide drivers on their website. Instead, they only offer update utilities to update the software that they presume you already installed from their CD. Their update utility is for 'zoombrowser' and it's a hefty 38mb download.
Windows XP does not recognise the camera and asks for drivers.

I'm a bit frustrated with this so if anyone can help, I'd be very happy.

I would have thought downloading photos from a camera (particularly a Canon who have such a great rep for digi cams), would be a simple case of plug in and go on windows xp. It's very frustrating that Canon doesn't provide a simple driver download.

It is not the fault of Canon, it is the typical annoying thing you come accross when using Windows. Blame Microsoft for not giving good support.

If you were using a Mac you would find that the drivers are supplied as part of OS X
Just open iPhoto, plug in the camera and go and it all just works.

Bantu
16-06-2007, 11:36 AM
speedy no it doesn't, just the twain driver you need.
On the site above

legod
16-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I've tried installing the TWAIN driver. It wouldn't let me. Error message mentioned wrong OS.

Bryan
16-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I have a Powershot S45. I do have the Driver for it on XP. However, Canon have not yet (if ever they will) released drivers for Vista.

I have plugged my camera into Vista and yes there is a Removable Drive showing. However, when I click on the Drive it asks for me to install the media into the disk so I am lost. The camera has the media but Vista doesn't recognise it.

Have you checked on Canon.com? I understood that you could get the driver from there for XP. It may take a little searching though.

Trev
16-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I have plugged in 2 types of Canon Cameras into my computer via the USB cable with no problems to upload photo's to my PC. One was a Canon Power Shot A80 Canon Powershot A710 IS currant model, with no problems. I have also plugged in some cheap $100 camera into my PC with no problems. You shouldn't need to install drivers. From memory when you first plug your camera in you get the found new hardware message and then the Windows XP photo program starts and then shows you the photos on your camera.
I think there maybe something wrong with your PC.
Trevor :)

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Well could be, I think the creative cam here, you only need the drivers if u want to use it from within My computer or an IM program.

As its a normal cam as well as a webcam.

But it still brought up the hardware wizard asking for the drivers.

I cant remember whether it worked without the drivers tho. I didnt give XP enough time to think about it :D

I installed the drivers anyway.

Trev
16-06-2007, 03:02 PM
I have plugged in 2 types of Canon Cameras into my computer via the USB cable with no problems to upload photo's to my PC. One was a Canon Power Shot A80 Canon Powershot A710 IS currant model, with no problems. I have also plugged in some cheap $100 camera into my PC with no problems. You shouldn't need to install drivers. From memory when you first plug your camera in you get the found new hardware message and then the Windows XP photo program starts and then shows you the photos on your camera.
I think there maybe something wrong with your PC.

Sorry for the typo. That should read one Canon Powershot A80 camera and one Canon Powershot A710 IS camera.

FoxyMX
16-06-2007, 06:44 PM

It would be much less hassle for you to purchase a card reader. There are external USB readers available for quite cheap which can be used on any PC with spare USB ports and many different types of cards, depending on which card reader you choose. Also, downloading photos using a card reader is much quicker than using a USB cable.