PDA

View Full Version : system.sav ???????

B.M.
15-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Guyís I lost a number of spreadsheets along with other things from a folder.

Eventually, Iíve found them along with all sorts of other stuff in a folder called System.sav in the root directory.

My question is: What is going on? I certainly didnít put them there and nor did I make the folder. Thereís all sorts of stuff in there that I thought had been deleted or lost years ago.

Anybody struck the same? :confused:

B.M.
17-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Further to this so far unresolved phenomena I note that some of the file names in the folder are in Blue, whilst the rest are in Black.

Anyone explain this? :confused:

godfather
17-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Blue denotes compressed files.

B.M.
17-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Ahhh, yes, you are dead right GF. :thumbs:

Now, why would Windows take it upon itself to compress some files without being instructed to?

Thereís literately hundreds of them in different folders and quite at random? :confused:

Like they're not all old ones, some are, some aren't.

zqwerty
17-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Posting with insufficient and incorrect knowledge after googling it, so deleted it.

Jen
17-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Now, why would Windows take it upon itself to compress some files without being instructed to?When you use the disk cleanup tool one of the options is to compress old files. I think there is also a setting for this elsewhere, maybe under the drive properties going from memory.

System.sav (directly under the root directory) appears to be associated with Compaq computers (or similar) and is part of their recovery program. How your missing files ended up in there is another story ...

B.M.
17-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Ahhhh, I think your onto it Jen.

In a previous post (still unresolved) I was trying to find why this computer took so long to close down. In desperation I run the Disk Cleanup utility along with Ccleaner, Norton WinDoctor, Adaware and any other cleanup programme I could find. I must have the cleanest most well organised computer around, :D but alas, it still takes a week to close down which it didnít used to.

So yes, it was probably the disk cleanup utility that compressed the files. Thatís that explained. :thumbs:

As for the SYSTEM.SAV folder in the Root Directory itís got me beat. Googleing pointed, as you say, to a recovery folder for Compaq Computers (which it is) but how Xl Spreadsheets, Word Documents, PDF Files, Zip Files, you name it, went missing and turned up in there I wouldnít have a clue.

However, the good news is I just copied all of them and pasted them back where they belong and all seems to be well.

My suspicion with the slow shutdown is the Computer looking for a Network to close which doesnít exist. But that is just a theory and Iíve really no idea. Iím as green as grass on Networks. :groan:

zqwerty
17-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Re: slow shut down, did you try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

B.M.
17-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Re: slow shut down, did you try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Thanks zqwerty, yes I did but unfortunately it didn't help. :groan:

Graham L
17-06-2007, 04:11 PM
If it was looking for a non-existent network to close down, surely it would spend a similar time at boot time looking for the network. ;)

B.M.
17-06-2007, 05:35 PM
If it was looking for a non-existent network to close down, surely it would spend a similar time at boot time looking for the network. ;)

Donít know, would it?

I know sometimes it takes me longer to find things, than it takes to loose them, and sometimes I find things I hadnít even lost. :D