PDA

View Full Version : Tip for Opera users

FoxyMX
15-06-2007, 02:24 PM
If you're an Opera user and, like me, use the numbers 1 to move back a tab and 2 to move forward a tab instead of using your mouse, you might be interested in customising the number 3 to close your current tab and move to the next one. Here's how.

Go to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Shortcuts > Keyboard setup

Click on Opera Standard or Opera Standard (Modified) if that is listed, then Edit.

Click on Application then New and in the resulting edit line type or paste in the following: Platform Windows-Unix-Mac, 3

Press the Tab key then type or paste in: Close page & Switch to next page

As there is already an entry for "3" in the "Advanced > BrowserWidget" section you will need to alter it. In "Quick find" type in 3, double-click on the resulting "3" that appears at the bottom of the window to edit it and add ctrl shift so that the entry is 3 ctrl shift.

Click OK all the way out.

This is very handy on laptop keyboards where it is much quicker to browse through your tabs and close them using the number keys rather than the touchpad. In fact it is so useful I have set it up on all my machines. :cool:

Jen
16-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Interesting tips. :)

Wouldn't it be safer to have the close tab quick key (3) further away from the 1 and 2 keys? If people are anything like me, you sometimes miss the intended target and get the key next door if you are not paying attention ... :p

vinref
16-06-2007, 03:12 PM
One of my favourites: Shift+F6 to tile all open tabs.

FoxyMX
16-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Wouldn't it be safer to have the close tab quick key (3) further away from the 1 and 2 keys? If people are anything like me, you sometimes miss the intended target and get the key next door if you are not paying attention ... :p

Yes, that does happen a bit but that's what the Trash/Recycle Bin is for. :p

It is easy enough to designate another key if 3 is a nuisance, just swap it with something else. :)

You know you can use Opera in Linux, don't you, Jen? And on a Mac... :p :D

FoxyMX
16-06-2007, 05:51 PM
One of my favourites: Shift+F6 to tile all open tabs.

Yes, I discovered that one recently but I haven't had much use for it yet. Might not be too convenient when I've got my usual 20+, sometimes 40+ tabs open though. :p

Erayd
16-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Yes, that does happen a bit but that's what the Trash/Recycle Bin is for. :pYou can also use CTRL+Z to restore closed tabs, and CTRL+W to close the current tab.

rob_on_guitar
17-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Thats all cool, I have almost forgotten that the keyboard is more thah a type pad.

Thanks guys:thumbs:

FoxyMX
18-06-2007, 09:15 AM
You can also use CTRL+Z to restore closed tabs, and CTRL+W to close the current tab.

Yep, I use those too. :thumbs:

CTRL+W is right next to CTRL+Q which closes Opera so one has to be careful that the fingers are on the right keys. :p