PDA

View Full Version : MAIL CONNECTION WORKS BUT NOT THE BROWSERS

notechyet
15-06-2007, 07:58 AM
hello members
I have ok mail connection but I don't seem to be able to browse the internet.
Ok with pinging the router and also google .com, when I ping xtra.co.nz it times out.
Firewalls (outpost) and xp pro firewall temp. disabled does not make a difference. I can not access the router setup from the browser even if I can ping it successfully!! I can access the setup nicely from the wireless machine.
I contacted xtra help line and they could not help either.

This message here I write from the second machine which is on the wireless connection to the router. All works perfectly on this machine!
Has anyone an idea what's happening with my other machine?
It is urgent as I use quite a bit the browser for work.
Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

NT

Safari
15-06-2007, 08:24 AM
What operating system. Are you using Internet Explorer 7 on XP
Check you are not working offline - File/Work offline not ticked.

notechyet
15-06-2007, 08:48 AM
What operating system. Are you using Internet Explorer 7 on XP
Check you are not working offline - File/Work offline not ticked.

Thanks
IE7 Xp Pro SP2 all updates
It does not work with Mozilla either
and just checked mailwasher, works perfectly as well.

wratterus
15-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey there try running this (http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlwinsockxpfix.html) through, it resets all the tcp/ip settings and stuff to defaults.:thumbs: Doesn't need to be in safe more of anything. It will automatically reboot after you click 'finish'

drcspy
15-06-2007, 09:37 AM
and if that dont work try 'lspfix'....

notechyet
15-06-2007, 10:17 AM
wratterus/drcspy
thanks guys a lot, it did the job.
Do you know the circumstances that create this?
I also wonder if it helps in regards of a network printer. I have been having problems with it lately and now after running the fix it worked straight away! It has been very frustrating with this printer. If I was fidling around with the network connection it may worked for a day and after rbooting it wasn't. So let's keep finger crossed.

I also think that the forum could create a point system so guys like you would geht some sort of "public" reward. See like this one, it was a 10 out of 10 help!
Regards
NT

notechyet
15-06-2007, 10:22 AM
wratterus/drcspy
thanks guys a lot, it did the job.

I also think that the forum could create a point system so guys like you would geht some sort of "public" reward. See like this one, it was a 10 out of 10 help!
Regards
NT

I like to second the idea of a point system!
G

wratterus
15-06-2007, 10:30 AM
NT

It can be several things, one of the more common ones is spyware that messes with your tcp/ip settings...:eek:

notechyet
15-06-2007, 10:32 AM
It can be several things, one of the more common ones is spyware that messes with your tcp/ip settings...:eek:

Yes I just had to clean out some a day or two ago. I also did edit the previous post in regard of my network printer.
Can that be affected as well?

Thanks
NT

notechyet
15-06-2007, 10:34 AM

By the way, I just see that we are just about neighbours!!

wratterus
15-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes, seeing as it's the network side of XP that was affected, anything that uses the network adaptor or is affected by the tcp/ip settings would most likely be acting strange.

Really?? Where do you live?

notechyet
15-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes, seeing as it's the network side of XP that was affected, anything that uses the network adaptor or is affected by the tcp/ip settings would most likely be acting strange.

Really?? Where do you live?
Motueka Valley, in Ngatimoti

notechyet
17-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Hello again

Now I lost all connection.
I can ping the router/modem ok. Have deinstalled the network card and reinstalled -no difference. I can not ping the own ip nor the ip from the wireless machine.
Also I can not see the router in the network connections.
If I type ip config in the prompt window I get one line with a question mark.

Also I had to clear some stuff like hidn.exe, m-hook.sys and drv_st_key which I obviously got in at some stage.
From this machine which is on a wireless connection to the same router all works perfect.
I desperatly need some suggestions.

Thanks
NT

drcspy
17-06-2007, 08:31 AM
image the system as a backup then extract the product key and run a 'repair install' that is often a good 'cure-all'

and it cant hurt.......and it'll only take you 40mins to do the repair install and depending on the amount of data on the system maybe half an hour to 40mins to run an image onto a spare drive or another partition.....

notechyet
17-06-2007, 08:40 AM
image the system as a backup then extract the product key and run a 'repair install' that is often a good 'cure-all'

and it cant hurt.......and it'll only take you 40mins to do the repair install and depending on the amount of data on the system maybe half an hour to 40mins to run an image onto a spare drive or another partition.....

You think that there is no other solution?
NT

Safari
17-06-2007, 08:55 AM
In cmd prompt type -
netsh winsock reset catalog
Enter and restart computer

notechyet
17-06-2007, 09:14 AM
In cmd prompt type -
netsh winsock reset catalog
Enter and restart computer

Thanks
Done that-no success.
Something that confuses me is that when I type in ipconfig, I get a strange thing:
first line ip address: that's ok
second line subnett: that's ok
then again ip address: with a question mark
then default gateway: that's ok

Somewhere there must be a persisting setting, which is obviously wrong to create that question mark

drcspy
17-06-2007, 09:18 AM
solutions: well my suggestion is not going to take you more than an hour and a half from start to finish and it'll leave your system intact (repair install) I'd be trying it anyway....

drcspy
17-06-2007, 09:21 AM
XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

since I'm too lazy to type this all out myself i copied this from this:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

site......

notechyet
17-06-2007, 09:42 AM
solutions: well my suggestion is not going to take you more than an hour and a half from start to finish and it'll leave your system intact (repair install) I'd be trying it anyway....

Is this not frustrating, as it works right now again, still I can't see the router in the network connections.
And the question mark in the ipconfig is still there.
I will most likely go to your next suggestion as I spend way more hours then what a repair install would take.
Say, with e repair install would I have to reinstall all the fixes and windows updates and so on after the SP2(as I got that CD), or not?

Thanks DRCSPY

NT