PDA

View Full Version : Epson R350 - issue printing DVDs

supertrouper
15-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Ok, it's been a couple of months since I last tried to print a label on a printable DVD-R.
Today I set up to do one, and the printer keeps ejecting the disc tray and telling me "The CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. Reload the tray and press start to continue".
So I reload it and press start again, only to have it go through its cycle and eject the tray again with the same message.

I have loaded the tray exactly as per the instructions.

I have tried a different brand of DVD-R.

I have tried a brand new tray.

I have tried an identical printer.

Still I get this damned message! The printer seems to make all the right noises as it does its thing, but refuses to accept that the tray is loaded correctly and consequently won't print.

I've tried this process in the region of 30 times now and it refuses to play ball.

Has anyone else got one of these and had the same issue? I tried submitting a query on the Epson website but the page had errors too.

[Doesn't really bode too well for Epson at the moment!]

TonyT
15-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Could be the sensor which detects the DVD may be dirty or faulty.
Make sure the tray reflective labels are clean as well.
If that all fails, you may have to take it in to a service agent to check over.

supertrouper
19-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Hmmm, well that makes two brand new printers which both have the same fault. I think I will be calling Epson tomorrow!

supertrouper
19-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Update!

This could be of use to anyone else who has a similar printer/problem.

Look around the back of the printer. There is a small slot, about 120mm long and 6mm high.

When the printer is doing DVD/CD printing, it does move the tray OUT of this slot at the back depending on where it needs the disc to be.
It also moves it out the back when it is doing its initialisation thing.

If your printer is sitting up against a wall, or the back upstand of your computer desk shelf (as my one is), the tray is unable to move out the back as far as it needs to, and the printer sees this as a "Tray not loaded correctly" problem!

Solution - move the printer out from the wall or upstand of the desk, or sit it on something to raise the slot at the back up so the tray doesn't hit anything!