PDA

View Full Version : Exchange 2003 information store not starting

clap
14-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

We have a SBS 2003 server. Today users could not retrieve any email and closer inspection of the logs shows that the 'exchange information store' wasn't running. Logs as follows...

--------------------------------------------------------
logs/system/error

'The microsoft exchange information store service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0)

logs/application/error

'Unable to initialize the microsoft exchange information store service. failed to initialize security - error 0x80004005'

--------------------------------------------------------

What am I missing here?

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Have a look thru some of these (http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?q=Unable+to+initialize+the+microsoft+ exchange+information+store+service.+failed+to+init ialize+security&qsc0=0&SearchBtn0=Search&FORM=QBME1&l=1&mkt=en-US&PageType=99)

clap
14-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks, I have been searching through MS support and googling but without much success. My knowledge of SBS is pretty limited, I'm just looking for any hints from a SBS guru...

CYaBro
14-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Have you tried restarting the service?

ronyville
14-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Have you tried restarting the service?

And if the service doesnt start than try restarting the server.

clap
14-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Here is what I have tried so far.

- restarting service and all other exchange services.

- restarting server multiple times

- checking security permissions mentions in the MS KB

- installing exchange 2003 sp2

- running setup.exe /ForestPrep

- running setup.exe /DomainPrep

- downloading and running exchange database recovery tool (no luck), it did a defrag on the mail database but had no effect on the service

Now i'm out of options. This machine is weird with its harddrives though. Every now and then there will be talk of ntfs failure in the logs. But would this stop a service and make it complain of security privileges?

Any thoughts?

CYaBro
15-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Have you got antivirus software on the SBS box that checks exchange email?
If so try disabling that and restarting the service.

Also, how big is your information store file?

clap
15-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Good point... I will hunt around for any antivirus, do you think the antivirus could interpret the service as a virus and block it?

The private mail database is a little of 2.2GB if that helps?

CYaBro
15-06-2007, 12:20 AM
2.2GB is not that big so don't think that is the problem.

I had an instance a couple of months ago where an antivirus update on the server killed the Exchange service. Had to disable the exchange checking in the AV software until they provided another update.
This happened on about half a dozen of my clients servers as they all run the same AV software. :badpc:

clap
23-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi all,
Well after much mucking around I just took exchange out. Un-installed it completely but moved the store to another location. Re-installed exchange and overlaid the old store back over the new store. This has solved all of the issues but I'm still left scratching my head as to why it happened in the first place.

This is my first dealings with windows SBS and I can't say I'm impressed. I come from a linux background and even though some people say it hard to use blah blah blah, at least you can get under the hood and see what's going on, repair it, and more importantly understand what went wrong! The GUI is a wonderful thing for user, but I really don't think it belongs in the server world, just my opinion.

Thanks for all who posted. S.

CYaBro
23-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks for posting what you did to fix the problem.

I look after a few SBS2003 servers around town and never had a problem with any of them.
Will keep this in mind if I ever have a problem with Exchange.

It could have been an update to Exchange Server that caused the problem.
I think SP2 came out recently.

clap
23-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Could have been. I know Exchange SP2 was put on prior to it falling over. When I re-installed exchange I also loaded SP1 and SP2 onto it. It seems ok now. I'm just glad I didn't lose every ones emails!!!

Thanks for your help mac :-)