PDA

View Full Version : IDE/DVD writer problem

Brucem
13-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I purchased a Sony DRU-810A DVD writer last year in the PCWorld promotion. It worked OK until recently, now it has power, as the door opens, the green LED stays on for about 5 seconds and that is it. I have checked that the plugs are all tight. I am running Windows XP on a fairly old machine (Pentium II, 450 MHz). In "My Computer" it doesn't show the drive under "removable media drives" as it used to. There is no mention of it in Device manager via the control panel. Although it reports that the two IDE are working correctly. I have two IDE sockets, one driving the DVD, and the other two hard drives. I swapped the connections this morning, and on restarting the computer it hung trying to "Autodetect Secondary Master". Restoring the connections allowed booting but the DVD is still undetectable. It seems to me that one IDE socket has died! I don't want to buy a replacement DVD, as I am am shortly to replace the computer, but I would like to back up data before I change.

Can Anyone help?

Brucem

pctek
13-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Its dead.

autechre
14-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Did you swap the connections to the motherboard around or the ones to the drives?
What happens if you connect the DVD drive to one of the first IDE connections and set it to slave? Leave your boot HDD set to master.

It's possible that one of the IDE connectors on the motherboard has died, but swap the drive around as above to make sure.