PDA

View Full Version : Registry cleaners/PC boosters,optimizers/DL managers

rob_on_guitar
13-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Hi guys,

Got a broad question, is the above mentioned stuff actually any good?

If so what would be a good set up for normal surfing, low downloading (odd song, maybe a video clip of a song).

Generally been having no luck with any of these things...

TIA

SurferJoe46
13-06-2007, 07:26 AM
For the registry, use CCleaner after you use AVG-RK..but Spybot has a neat tool there too.

PC Boosters are snake oil

DL managers are OK if you have troubles with your client-ralationships in your system..but I so far have resisted them.

rob_on_guitar
13-06-2007, 07:54 AM
I have Ccleaner. But thats about as far as I go. I had abexo but even that just seems like a bit of fluff.

pctek
13-06-2007, 09:15 AM
They're all rubbish.

I have Ccleaner too, I do install it for people but I find its nowhere near as good as manual registry editing. It never gets everything, none of them do, I think they make them to err on the side of caution.

autechre
13-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I would say a download manager is pretty vital. There have been so many occasions that Mozilla/SeaMonkey has crapped out in the middle of a download and if i'd had it queued in a dl manager I could have resumed it no problem.

I'd recommend Flashget (http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm). Apparently the newer versions 1.8x aren't so hot, but you can get the older 1.7x from the same site.

Also use the Flashgot (http://flashgot.net/) plugin for Firefox/Mozilla etc. to allow you to easily queue up the downloads.

Strommer
13-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Rob, have a look at my signature. On my web page you will find free programs that can tweak and clean your pc, plus lots of info telling you how to tweak and clean yourself. There is another thread about download managers - I was reading this yesterday but cannot locate it now.

SurferJoe46
13-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I would say a download manager is pretty vital. There have been so many occasions that Mozilla/SeaMonkey has crapped out in the middle of a download and if i'd had it queued in a dl manager I could have resumed it no problem.

I'd recommend Flashget (http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm). Apparently the newer versions 1.8x aren't so hot, but you can get the older 1.7x from the same site.

Also use the Flashgot (http://flashgot.net/) plugin for Firefox/Mozilla etc. to allow you to easily queue up the downloads.

I have had some problems when I send out a file that is very large..even after winrar or zipped...but maybe it's just the dsl verses dial that makes it easier for me.

If you are on dial-up, then breaking the download is quite possible if you get a small glitch...which happens all the time. But if you can get it off faster through dsl, then the chances of making it are a lot easier and faster too.

I had to send files in pieces...but have done so sometimes and then had the receiver reassemble them..I know...a lot of work..but with persistence and good fortune, it can be done.

That's the only reason why I haven't gone through a manager so far...I usually get things thru and don't need one.

Is there something else I might be missing? Oh, yeah...Firefox allows me to halt and resume downloads too if I want...is that not about the same thing?

autechre
14-06-2007, 09:24 AM
If you are on dial-up, then breaking the download is quite possible if you get a small glitch...which happens all the time. But if you can get it off faster through dsl, then the chances of making it are a lot easier and faster too.

If your DSL connection drops (which seems to often happen on Telecom network) or if your browser crashes, then your download usually goes with it.

That's the only reason why I haven't gone through a manager so far...I usually get things thru and don't need one.

Is there something else I might be missing? Oh, yeah...Firefox allows me to halt and resume downloads too if I want...is that not about the same thing?

I've found the download manager in Firefox/Mozilla to be of no real use at all other than listing everything you've downloaded which slows things down once it gets too large :)
I can't queue up a bunch of downloads at once, use multiple servers to download the file (if it's supported), use more than one download stream so the file will come down quicker.

As far as I know, you can't pause the download, shut down your PC, and resume it when it starts back up.

If you can cope without one, no problem :) Me? I download a lot of files and it's much easier to have them all queued up and leave the manager to it.

Greg
14-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Gotta disagree with that. I've had to download a 2.5 gig file a few times and never had a problem using Mozilla.

rob_on_guitar
14-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Rob, have a look at my signature. On my web page you will find free programs that can tweak and clean your pc, plus lots of info telling you how to tweak and clean yourself. There is another thread about download managers - I was reading this yesterday but cannot locate it now.

Thanks Steve ill check it out tonight after work.

Cheers all, kind of answered my questions, or confirmed what i thought.

godfather
14-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree with pctek here.
Registry cleaners are mostly snake oil. See the link below.
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

In 99% of cases, simply not required. Mind you some repair techs get a living from reinstalling etc where the non savvy owner has used them.

Graham L
14-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm impressed when people say that an optimizer has reported hundreds of things wrong with a system. Windows must be really robust to work when there is so much wrong with it. :horrified Or perhaps the "optimiser" is a load of rubbish.:thumbs:

Thomas01
14-06-2007, 05:36 PM
They're all rubbish.

I have Ccleaner too, I do install it for people but I find its nowhere near as good as manual registry editing. It never gets everything, none of them do, I think they make them to err on the side of caution.

pctek has a point but some of us don't have the skills or knowledge to mess about with dynamite like the registry. I use CCleaner too. Find it pretty good. I also have Registry Mechanic (yes it costs money and I paid for it - wonders will never cease). But I find Registy Mechanic does a good job and more importantly stops me from fiddling with things I don't understand.
I have never regretted getting and using it.
A good technician, working manually, can do better of course but even they are liable to make mistakes.
Tom

rob_on_guitar
15-06-2007, 09:10 AM
God point Tom, but I think they are saying it isnt nessecary. Like a couple of hundred 'mistakes' yet your pc is running fine?

Personally I think it's companies cashing in on people like myself who don't truely understand what they are doing. But I have been learning.... the more I learn the more ripped off I feel.:2cents:

autechre
15-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd agree that most registry cleaners & other optimisers are total rubbish.

There are a few good reg cleaners about, but you don't really need to run them often unless you're installing & uninstalling a lot of things. If you do use one, make sure you can export all the changes to a .reg file so they can be undone!

I cleaned out 4000+ entries from my registry not too long ago, didn't make a scrap of difference to XP :)

As for memory defraggers & suchlike, i've not read anything postitive about them, so avoid.

SurferJoe46
15-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I've found the download manager in Firefox/Mozilla to be of no real use at all other than listing everything you've downloaded which slows things down once it gets too large :)
I can't queue up a bunch of downloads at once, use multiple servers to download the file (if it's supported), use more than one download stream so the file will come down quicker.

As far as I know, you can't pause the download, shut down your PC, and resume it when it starts back up.

Wow..... I get just the opposite effect from FF download manager.

I CAN pause, restart, run multiple downloads at one time and every one of them allows me to find the folder in which it is placed and run a scan on it once I receive it..but before I execute the whatever it is.

If I pause the download and reboot, it's there still in the manager waiting for me to go further or delete it. Mind you, I am in the US with a fairly fast DSL though.

rob_on_guitar
16-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I had a peak at most manual tweaks you can do. Think I have them sorted.

If I switched to Opera browser full time, can I erase IE and all updates?

mmmork
16-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I had a peak at most manual tweaks you can do. Think I have them sorted.

If I switched to Opera browser full time, can I erase IE and all updates?

No. Well you could actually, it's more of a choice I suppose. Thing is, you do need IE if you need to update windows itself or MS software & auto-updates don't work for any reason (it happens). Or any other active-x stuff when you're feeling brave.

The other way to look at it I guess is you don't need the updates since you're less vulnerable.

I keep IE installed & updated. I don't think it can do any harm just sitting there. Or can it..................

JJJJJ
16-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Just my thoughts.Registry cleaners can be dangerous.
Download managers. Needless..I can download 100mb in four minutes, so I guess I can manage it myself, without being managed
Pc Cleaners and tuners. Why you can do all they do,without any help.
Modem Boosters. absolute rubbish.
Optomizers. You can probably do a better job than them without their help.

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Theyre all crap. Besides some DL Managers.

Most ram booster programs wouldn't do anything. Get more ram.

People have to use common sense. If its too good to be true, it probably is.

Before u get anything like this, look it up and see if it installs malware or whether it'll do anything at all (I doubt any of these programs would ).

Some of these programs can make things worse, and even install malware on your system. Then you'll have something to worry about.

Dont just download a program coz it says it can do and this.

Think of the consequences, if you're WRONG.

Thomas01
22-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I can only report on what my computer does for me and I hate going against what Speedy has said - but this last week my "WILD PIG" (pet name for my desktop) was more of a LAZY SOW. Absolutely crawling along. So I used REGISTRY MECHANIC and the difference is amazing.
She is back up to speed again.
Tom

Faded_Mantis
23-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Just thought I'd mention that if you have Opera it's built in download manager supports pausing and resuming etc.

hmm, maybe I should change my name to WinOperaGuy? :P

Cicero
23-06-2007, 03:37 AM
Theyre all crap. Besides some DL Managers.

Most ram booster programs wouldn't do anything. Get more ram.

People have to use common sense. If its too good to be true, it probably is.

Before u get anything like this, look it up and see if it installs malware or whether it'll do anything at all (I doubt any of these programs would ).

Some of these programs can make things worse, and even install malware on your system. Then you'll have something to worry about.

Dont just download a program coz it says it can do and this.

Think of the consequences, if you're WRONG.

Are you saying that the likes of adaware and ccleaner are not the bees knees?

PedalSlammer
23-06-2007, 11:37 PM
PC Boosters are rubbish software if you got one.
Free registry cleaners or unknown cleaners are just a load of rubbish as well. Get something like Registry Mechanic or System Mechanic to do those jobs.

DL manager, never get FlashGet it's an Ad-Ware program which means my BitDefender blocked me from using it. Try Mozilla Firefox it works fine.

bob_doe_nz
24-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Download managers are a mixed bunch. Some work great, others not so great and half of them are adware/crapware.

rob_on_guitar
24-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Just thought I'd mention that if you have Opera it's built in download manager supports pausing and resuming etc.

Yea Im ccurrently using Opera, but I switched back to explorer for dls.

For some reason Im finding Opera is a tad slower for Dls. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Are you saying that the likes of adaware and ccleaner are not the bees knees?

Ah no I meant the other programs that do nothing but infect your system with crap.

sal
24-06-2007, 11:47 AM
A clean, nag-free download manager I can recommend is LeechGet 2007 (http://www.leechget.net/en/) (sounds shady but is pretty good). There is a paid version so the push from the free version is it’s limited to 5 active downloads with others being queued which isn’t so bad. Also compatible with the previously mentioned Firefox add-on, FlashGot.

It used to be my staple DL manager but nowadays if I'm downloading via HTTP I usually use wget if I don’t think via the browser is going to cut it.

I don’t mind giving CCleaner a twice over now and then for a taste of that snake-oil either.

I find its nowhere near as good as manual registry editing
lol, how manual are we talking here.

Faded_Mantis
25-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Yea Im ccurrently using Opera, but I switched back to explorer for dls.

For some reason Im finding Opera is a tad slower for Dls. :confused:

Hmm, I hadn't tried the 2 side by side Rob.

I find that for example I might be connected and downloading a certain file at 160kbyte, and then i pause it and resume it, and it might only make it to 100kbyte, and then another time it might reconnect at 200kbyte all on the same file.

Could that explain the speed difference you're seeing?

Greven
25-06-2007, 02:33 PM
If your DSL connection drops (which seems to often happen on Telecom network) or if your browser crashes, then your download usually goes with it.

If you can cope without one, no problem :) Me? I download a lot of files and it's much easier to have them all queued up and leave the manager to it.

Give the downThemAll extension a try - I find it quite good. It is a download manager built into firefox.
All the other download manager extensions I found just offloaded the download to an external download manager

winmacguy
25-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Is that because your promoting something that you like using and would recommend that other people use it? ;):p

Faded_Mantis
25-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Is that because your promoting something that you like using and would recommend that other people use it? ;):p

lol, nah I was referring to shameless promotion of something that had only a small connection to the thread :P :P

However I do like using Opera and would recommend that other people use it :)