PDA

View Full Version : Multiple WMP10 Installations....Ooops

SurferJoe46
13-06-2007, 04:45 AM
OK..I was having trouble with ANOTHER puter that every time you fired up WMP...it would play any ONE item OK, but you can see that it is frozen/locked and won't play anything else until you shut it down through Task Manager.

It then pops up 5 error message requests, and you "X" them all out and go through the same cycle again...it froze each and every time.

OK..I did a search for the player in various ways and found 5 separate installations of WMP10....one in Temp Files, another in My Documents..see where I am going here?

How in the world do I find the REAL Installation? There are NONE in the Programs list in the root drive. I tried to get the properties from the icon that lives on the desktop, and it alternately points to any one of the installations...kinda in a rotational view so I can't find the correct one.

Since it appears that WMP10 is no longer available..can I delete the duplicates and send them (individually) to something like a USB or SD card? I don't really want to destroy v10 as it is kinda hard to get any more...so if I take any of them out, how am I sure that I don't harm the good version?

Could they SOMEHOW be threaded together from several places and be necessary for the whole thing to operate....I know that's not the usual way it works..but this is a mess....

And on the delete idea..does WMP find some ID with the OPSYS or the MOBO Serial number so it can't be installed in a different system?

SurferJoe46
13-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Ker-bump!

wratterus
13-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Repair-Reinstall?:confused: havn't come across that before.. cometimes there can be entries in the programs list for WMP but as you have just said there isn't in this case. When you were looking at the programs list did you have "show updates" ticked?

SurferJoe46
13-06-2007, 09:16 AM
No..the updates were turned off..and there are all those same versions of WMP10....I went to the stuff I searched and they are all " .exe " types too..so that's not making it any easier.

jontee
13-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Mine says 'MP10Setup.exe' 12.1MB.
Once again it is download it if you have too then delete it from add/remove including the wmp11 thingie that will be there roll back to wmp 9 / reboot / and then intstall the 'MP10Setup.exe' 12.1MB file to get back to wmp 10.

beeswax34
13-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Why not uninstall all of them and simply get a new version of WMP10 from here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp