PDA

View Full Version : SATA2 vs PATA

Ravage
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Howdy

As my old ide HDD (seagate, 80 GB, 7200 rpm) died recently I have decided to buy another one.

I saw that I could get a PATA 320 GB HDD for around $149 or a SATA2 320 GB HDD for $155.

As I have an old socket A mobo with an Athalon 2400+ cpu I do intend to upgrade in the near future. So I can use my replacement HDD in a future PC I figure getting the SATA2 HDD would be better.

My current mobo does not appear to have any SATA slots so I was thinking I could get a PCI add on card.

Any suggestions?

Does the HDD use the same 4 pin molex connections as PATA HDD and if not can you buy adapters?

cheers

Ravage

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Well you would have to get a SATA II card to make it worthwhile.

Or else you'll have to switch the hdd to SATA 1 mode, so it'll work.

And it wont run as fast as SATA 2.

No SATA uses a 7 wire cable, which is pretty thin. And likewise for the power.

You can buy SATA to molex adapters but theyre pretty flimsy and can come out.

It'll be better buying a PSU with the SATA adapter/s on it.

If u want SATA, I wouldnt bother updating what you've got already. I would get a mobo that supports SATA 2.

And better ram and everything else.

Pete O'Neil
12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Well you would have to get a SATA II card to make it worthwhile.

Or else you'll have to switch the hdd to SATA 1 mode, so it'll work.

And it wont run as fast as SATA 2.
While SATA II is technically faster than SATA I it is little to do with the increase in interface speed but more to do with the add features such as NCQ that are common place on SATAII drive. While forcing the drive to function in SATA I mode will decrease performance it should be minimal and not noticeable.

No SATA uses a 7 wire cable, which is pretty thin. And likewise for the power.

You can buy SATA to molex adapters but theyre pretty flimsy and can come out.

It'll be better buying a PSU with the SATA adapter/s on it.
Theres nothing wrong with the molex to sata adapters, they use the exact same plugs found on any PSU purchased.

Out of curiosity what motherboard do you have Ravage? Buying the SATA drive is definitely the better option as its far more future proof, especially since Intel and nVidia have started removing atleast one IDE channel from new motherboards. A cheap PCI SATA card would suffice until you purchase you new PC and could probably be purchased for around $50.

tweak'e
12-06-2007, 06:39 PM
just to add...some drives come with the old style power connectors anyway so your old power supply will fit.

just be aware that useing a pci sata card may actually make it run a bit slower depending on what other pci cards you run.

MushHead
12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Just like to add that a lot of the SATA HDD's I've seen (mine is a SATA2 250GB) have both the SATA & Molex power connectors on the back.

Ravage
13-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Howdy

Forgot to check what mobo I have as I didn't use my home PC last night.
I'm not too worried if the drive doesn't go full speed as at the moment it would just be for storage of music, pictures, video clips etc. Win XP and programs are currently installed on another 80 GB PATA drive.

Would something like this from DSE be ok, I assume it still works even if you don't have a RAID setup.

www.dse.co.nz XH8269 (sorry, I don't know how to rename links so they don't take up 2 lines ;) )

cheers

Ravage