PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway info for a Linux network set-up?

PeterA
12-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I want to connect my printer which is on my Win 98SE machine, to my Linux set-up which is on the same machine but on a different hard drive (not a partition). I need to input the IP Address, the Subnet Mask and the Gateway, but I don't know where to find this info. I want to try to use the newwork option to print from Linux as I have had no success with trying to install drivers for my printer into Linux. I have tried all suggestions for the past two weeks so I will now try the network option. I presume I can use the network to do this on the one machine can't I? All help gratefully appreciated.
Peter A

Graham L
12-06-2007, 04:36 PM
You have given us no information to help us with your printer. :(

When you have booted a Linux on that computer the Win98 OS does not exist. It's just a collections of files. When you boot W98, the Linux OS is just an inactibve collection of files.

So it doesn't matter what the IP address, etc., of the Linux OS is: the printer isn't accessible as a network printer connected to W98. W98 isn't there.

What distribution of Linux are you using? What is the make and modelof the printer? Most printers are installed very easily by Linux.

PeterA
12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello Graham, Thanks for the reply. The version is Xandros 2. It does let me see my Windows files and I can copy them across to Linux. I want to try Networking the printer because I have had not luck with all the downloaded drivers for my Brother 210c printer. I have tried for two weeks to install the drivers. I put a post on a week or so back and got plenty od advice but none worked. I use Xandros because it is the only distro that will recognise my Winmodem. I have two options on Linux that lets me choose Windows Network or the Linux version. I have heard the Samba might be a goer. Any ideas about the IP Addresses etc now?
Peter A

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Well unless the printer needs ips (thats if its got an ethernet connection) it doesnt need them.

I had a similar prob, I had to install Samba and NFS (but for Ubuntu).

Also I replied to your previous post earlier today. So, I take it, u got the drivers installed for the printer, since u want to use it on a network??

Graham L
12-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, Linux can access the Windows files. But it's not accessing them through Windows. It's accessing the disk files directly.

Samba works very well,and it can certainly let a Linux computer share a printer connected to a Windows machine.

But you've got only one computer. It can't run W98 and Xandros at the same time. :(

PeterA
12-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys, I wondered if I needed two computers but as I could see the Windows I thought that I could print. Makes sense. I will have to see if I can get the drivers to load directly into Linux as the only way to go. Thanks.
Peter A

Myth
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I would suggest that you go here (http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=28751&sid=746853e7911e399db90ed8bf730c222d) and read the second post (by Sarahsdad).
Each distro generally has a forum filled with people like you and I who need the help of others at times. Find the forum associated with your distro, and never ever lose the link... they are invaluable

Speedy, unsure why you would require NFS, this (as far as I know and have been told) is for sharing files between 2 Linux machines. But then Ubuntu is different to Gentoo.