PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access and ISPs

meg_h_nz
12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
HI all
I have a work mate who is hoping to do some work from home. We were chatting about it yesterday and she mentioned that she had to have her BB connection (she is in the process of getting BB set up) with the same ISP as work for remote access to work. I said I was sure you could use any ISP and that your connection has nothing to do with it.
As I dont have BB and have never used remote access I have no hard facts and figured some one here would know.
(I have done a search on the subject but nothing relating to remote access and ISPs came up)
Many thanks
Meg

SolMiester
12-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi, if her work is on a private network (telecom) then yes, she would have to use xtra in order to contact and authenticate with the telecom radius servers....

meg_h_nz
12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
What do you mean by "private network" ?

Mackin_NZ
12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I have a customer who uses TesltraClear BB at work and uses ClearNet POP3 & SMTP servers for e-mail.

She wants to work at home and not have to change any settings. The easiest solution is for her to use TestraClear BB at home as well, that way she can continue to send/receive e-mail without any authentication issues.

meg_h_nz
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info.

berryb
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Being able to access emails as Mackin said is not remote access.

In most cases it doesn't matter what ISP is used but depending on how remote access is setup then as Solmiester had stated if a private network then ISP could be an issue.

trig42
12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
It shouldn't matter what ISP she is with, as she would be connecting to work via a VPN or something. It is up the the IT staff at work to install the VPN client and allow her access to their network through that VPN.

The only thing she may have to do at home is allow the VPN to get through her broadband router.

berryb
12-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Trig you are correct that most situations the ISP is irrelevant. But Telecom for example does supply secure private networks that can only be accessed from their network. Some Doctors clinics were using a private network supplied by Telecom that was a nightmare to get access to, even from within their own network.