PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive and BIOS problem

Redmanx456
11-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Hey there I am new to this fourm so don't go off on me.

I am currently running a HP Media Center, that runs windows xp.
IT's 3 years old, but i receved it only a year ago with no problems with it. Just these last three months it has started to act up. UPon booting up after the HP screen, it says the error, NO Boot deviece, Insert Boot Media ect.
Well It alerted me and I hit F1 and went into BIOS. Well it is reading my hard drive, but it wont boot from it. I have tried changeing the boot order but still nothing. any help?

SurferJoe46
11-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Is there nothing more in the error message? Like a code or a set of numbers/letters?

It might be the boot sequence too...what is the BIOS setting for the that?

You might try a XP dos boot disk in the floppy drive, if you have a floppy drive that is.

With kajillions of lines of code, it's likely that something went awry.

Masees2004
11-06-2007, 06:07 AM
you can try to boot from any WinXP CD and when the first menu appears press R.
when you can write a command use ( FIXBOOT C: ) without the brackets and then type FIXMBR this should fix your problems and I STRONGLY recommends that you back up before doing this although I tried this before and it just worked fine for me.
Regards

Redmanx456
11-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Well I dont have a windows cd or floppy disk, although i have a floppy drive. the recovery is built in.

IT started to work again and i was able to get on for a few minutes and get all my important school stuff out.

I accessed the recovery but it stopped at 30 precent a froze, now it is back to the error message and asking to inser proper boot media.

Tony.br
11-06-2007, 07:26 AM
If it stopped working and the started again, may I suggest you kill the power, remove the covers and on the hard drive, remove the Power plug and reinsert then do the same with the IDE drive cable.

Do the same at the Motherboard end of the IDE cable.

I have had quite a few instances of this sort of Intermittant behavior and this fixed them.

In fact cable and plug in card contact problems are quite common

I actually go a stage further and I lightly spray a contact cleaner into the socket ends, but I am not suggesting you do that. :badpc:

Given the low cost of 80 wire IDE cables, sometimes replacing it is useful

Redmanx456
11-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Ok i will try that and see if it works, if not, i am making a recovery cd as we speak...just in case lol

Redmanx456
11-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Sorry for the double post.....

I tried the cable things, and now it is poping up a screen that says this.

American Megatrends.... Ami.com ((or something like that))

Detecting Pri Master......IDE Hard Disk

Pri slave.......

Sec. Master.......Hp cd

sec slave.....dvd

Usb.....

IDE Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T.....Condition B.A.D....Backup and replace......

What should I do now????

SurferJoe46
11-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Your harddrive is almost dead..follow the hint and get another one

Shut down the offending computer and don't start it again until you are ready to make the new installation...you don't have many more times left to see that message...it is almost always fatal...

SurferJoe46
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Now that I got that out as quickly as I could, make sure that you get a new hardrive....as large as you can afford..

You will need to use the cd-utility that comes with the new drive to get all your files and OPSYS onto the new drive.

Windows WGA might throw a fit for the changed hardware...you'll have to play it by ear until you get in trouble..then maybe a nice long distance phone call with terminal "holds" and lots of elevator music until you get it sorted out.

Hopefully you get someone with English as their primary language to talk to..but likely not.

You MIGHT lose some of the HP stuff when you do this replacement... ....hopefully not..but you never know until you try. I have heard horror stories and others that absolutely no problems at all.

Tony.br
11-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Surferjoe is probably correct but I have had the identical symptoms with a bad IDE cable and the fact it happened when you unplugged and replugged the cable tend to indicate that to me.

Your decision of course but if it was me, I would get a new 80 wire cable and fit it and it sure as heck wont hurt if in the end you have to replace the Hard Drive.

The fact that I have about 20 here helps too. LOL

Make sure the cable is fitted correctly and fully inserted. A new one will be tight.