PDA

View Full Version : notebook battery

bizzack
10-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi all. I've just gotten a new laptop, an HP pavilion dv9305tx and for the time being (3 or so months) I wont be travelling with it, so it will be always plugged in to the mains. What I'm wondering is would it be better for my battery if I take it out until I actually need it?

thanks!

somebody
10-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Yes and no. You might preserve its life slightly by taking it out because you're not exposing it to so much heat... but on the other hand, you may reduce the life of the battery if it isn't stored at the correctly charged capacity.

Plus - keeping it in the laptop means that if the power goes of (or someone kicks out the power adaptor), the laptop will still work and you won't lose anything you have open etc.

I always keep the battery in my laptop - modern laptops have intelligent circuitry to determine when and if the battery needs charging, so you don't have to worry about overcharging it or anything.

Burnzee
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi

Keep your battery in your laptop but at least once every month allow your computer to flatten it to the point where it turns off. Then recharge it straight away. If you have more than one battery, make sure you use both regularly.

This is the advice TOSHIBA put in their User's Guide and one I follow. Have had no problems.

BURNZEE

BORN TO FISH, FORCED TO WORK!!

Renmoo
10-06-2007, 11:28 PM
...allow your computer to flatten it to the point where it turns off. Then recharge it straight away...
Just a note here, in some laptops (e.g. ASUS Z92T), there is an option under BIOS which allows you to "re-tune" the battery by completely discharging and recharging it. So this means you don't have to purposely boot up the OS and let the laptop run.

Cheers :)