PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CS3

Poppa John
10-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi All,
I have downloaded a trial of the title. However the setup asks me to shut down Internet Explorer. How do I do that Please. PJ

plod
10-06-2007, 07:29 PM
that would be the big X in the top right hand corner

Poppa John
10-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Thats what I thought as well. But on restarting the setup, it asks for the same thing. PJ

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I take it your looking at moving up in the world PJ. :thumbs:

chiefnz
10-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Try pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and see if there are any processes running which start with "ie **" etc select it then click on "End Process" button located at the bottom right hand corner of the task manager.

Failing that, restart and try running setup again.

Cheers

Poppa John
10-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Done it thanks. Shut everything down opened IE then closed it with the Big X. All ok now. PJ

Poppa John
10-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I take it your looking at moving up in the world PJ. :thumbs:

Win....Looking at one of the options you mentioned to see what it does. PJ:thumbs:

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Win....Looking at one of the options you mentioned to see what it does. PJ:thumbs:

A lot, although be aware that Illustrator is still very bloated and there for slow compared to Freehand which is no longer sold. Other than that the only limit with Photoshop is your know how and imagination. Plenty of books available if you need learning/reading material for beginners.

InDesign is the industry standard for page layout (as is Quark). Bit of a learning curve with InDesign but don't get too frustrated. Just because you think you can't do something doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means your not looking in the right place.

Be aware that a standard graphic design course which covers all 3 apps takes 9 months with full time tuition so if you think your struggling or over whelmed after the first day don't be disheartened.

I'm not sure how much RAM you have on your machine but you will need at least 1GB if your running XP to get reasonable performance out of something like Photoshop. Graphic design is slightly different to gaming in that it places more of a requirement on RAM than on a fast GPU. 512MB will be sufficient but it might be a bit sluggish when opening files and some Photoshop files can get pretty big.

Regarding Photoshop for dummies, you could try your library if your budget is pretty tight. The best books that I have in my collection are Photoshop Studio and Commercial Photoshop by Bert Monroy who is a lecturer and Adobe research fellow. They cost about $100 ea but are well worth it if you decide to go with CS3. Otherwise the library might be able to help you out.
Good luck.