PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question probably

supergran
10-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I have my sisters lap top here at present, and at her house is connected to cable broadband. My question is, can I connect it to my broadband connection at my house, which isn't with Clear, without loosing the settings for hers at her house. Hope I am clear enough about what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

The_End_Of_Reality
10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes... if it is ethernet yes, I am not sure about USB though... is it set to automatically obtain IP address under the network connections TCP/IP settings?

supergran
10-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes, mine is set to auto find it, (I think), and we have modem/router connecting 3 computers at present, with room for one more. LOL Since we set up the router we just plugged in the cable to the other computers and they just go online.

The_End_Of_Reality
10-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I was meaning is the laptop set to auto?

Well yes... it is supposed to... that is because the router is acting as a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which means the router gives the PC/;aptop an IP address and configures the DNS to be able to access the net...

jinja_thom
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
If your sister's laptop was connected directly to a cable modem on Telstraclear/paradise (what used to be called the Saturn cable TV network) then it will be configured to have a fixed IP address which is specific to your sisters cable connection.
TCP/IP Properties will have to be changed to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically".
The correct settings will need to be replaced when it goes back to her connection,

supergran
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
If your sister's laptop was connected directly to a cable modem on Telstraclear/paradise (what used to be called the Saturn cable TV network) then it will be configured to have a fixed IP address which is specific to your sisters cable connection.
TCP/IP Properties will have to be changed to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically".
The correct settings will need to be replaced when it goes back to her connection,

Ok thanks for that, if I have to change something, I will just leave it. We have three other computers here, I was just going to be lazy.

zcc
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
if you are blond, just plug it in and go.
if you are brunette, write a letter to the herald asking for advice.
if you are red, throw it out the window as it clashes with your skintone.
All others... refer to the above options again and tell the truth!
Ok.. grey haried people.. call in the neighbours 11yr old and he will fix it.

pcuser42
12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
LOL.

Poppa John
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

I just love that. Thanks for the giggle. PJ:lol:

JJJJJ
12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
No question is "dumb" on this forum.

Just some of the answers.

supergran
12-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Well as I am blonde, with more and more grey appearing, guess I should of asked my 12 year old grand daughter who lives here.

Thanks for the giggle.