PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade advise please?

minster
10-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi!
Can anyone say whether or not it would be worth it to make some upgrades to my existing computer which is...
*Intel P4 3.0G Socket478 800MHz FSB L2 1M Hyper-Threading
*Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-RZ SIS 661FX
*Memory: 1GB DDR400 Memory
*Graphics: Onboard
Windows XP Home sp2.
My main use is in creating "Web Graphics"-"Animations" and am finding delays with some of the pages loading when working with "Heavier" graphics.
Would increasing the ram to 2GB and fitting a separate graphics card help me out here?
As finances are limited, can anyone give advise on the best choices for this system. What limits of graphics card will my system be compatible with and would there be a need to increase the power supply size(I have 300 watt at the moment)
Any advise would be appreciated! Thank you:)

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 12:53 PM
A C2D chip, and more RAM would be a good place to start. Possibly upgrade your Mobo as well although some of the other members could make a better suggestion as to which mobo than I could.
2GB of RAM would be good.

chiefnz
10-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Possibly upgrade your Mobo as well although some of the other members could make a better suggestion as to which mobo than I could.2GB of RAM would be good.

He may have trouble with that... can't go much better than what he's got at the moment and even if he did you would probably only be able to squeeze a few more MHz out of a new CPU.

Best bet would be to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card... most likely it is the on-board graphics which is creating the bottleneck. Do that 1st and see if your RAM needs upgrading. I honestly don't think you would need more RAM unless the graphics you're doing are high definition or require excessive amounts of memory to render.

Cheers

Metla
10-06-2007, 01:11 PM
As suggested, Your best bet will be a graphics card, nothing excessive though as you didn't mention gaming

The other issue which is just as important if not more so is to ensure your running an efficient machine, free up resources by killing off unneeded background programs, scanning for and removing any spyware/viruses, Deleting all the cached and temporary files, choosing an anti-virus app that doesn't hog resources.

minster
10-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks!:)
When using one of my favourite graphics programs (Photo Impact 12 ... Gif animator) my cpu usage meter sits on 100% and will crash at times.
Xara Extreme Pro is the best at 2-20%
I would hate to see what would happen if I used my Photo Shop!
Any suggestions on a graphics card and is 256 bit a better choice than 128 bit?

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Photoshop shouldn't crash your machine. 256 Mb is better than 128Mb

Metla
10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks!:)
When using one of my favourite graphics programs (Photo Impact 12 ... Gif animator) my cpu usage meter sits on 100% and will crash at times.
Xara Extreme Pro is the best at 2-20%

128/256 bit won't make any difference unless your gaming, Though I would suggest that fitting a video card won't fix the issue of your cpu maxing out and your system crashing, All your current hardware should be able to do the required work without raising a sweat.

So look at the software enviorment.

minster
10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=winmacguy;559204]Photoshop shouldn't crash your machine. /QUOTE]
:D
You are probably right there but I haven't opened my PhotoShop since finding Xara Extreme a year ago:thumbs:

Okay!
Seems that more ram and a good graphics card would be beneficial so all I need to find out is "Which card?" ... a 9600 pro perhaps?

Yes I do keep my pc as clean as possible re; temp files etc and multiple programs open:thumbs:

Thanks for a great forum fella's
All replies are appreciated:D

chiefnz
10-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Okay!
Seems that more ram and a good graphics card would be beneficial so all I need to find out is "Which card?" ... a 9600 pro perhaps?
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Seriously you can do a lot better than a 9600 Pro... have a look HERE (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html)

The 9600 is going for about $129.00, for the same price you can get a much more decent card.... what's your price range? I assume you're using AGP still.

If you're gonna buy a graphics card don't scrape the bottom of the barrel, get the best card you can with the money you have. I doubt whether you will need to get RAM and a graphics card. As I suggested previously get one (preferably the graphics card) not both and you will most likely NOT need to increase your RAM as well. Of course over time you may find that you need to bump the RAM up but initially it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=winmacguy;559204]
You are probably right there but I haven't opened my PhotoShop since finding Xara Extreme a year ago:thumbs:

That looks like an interesting package. I take it you use it a fair amount?

Metla
10-06-2007, 04:37 PM
If it maxes out his cpu and causes system instability then it would definitly rank as interesting.

Another description would be rubbish software best avoided.

And my soothsaying skills lead me to believe that the upgrades won't fix the issue, Hide the symptons perhaps, But not fix.

minster
10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
:yuck:

Seriously you can do a lot better than a 9600 Pro... have a look HERE (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html)

The 9600 is going for about $129.00, for the same price you can get a much more decent card.... what's your price range? I assume you're using AGP still.

Cheers

This is part of the point of me asking you these questions ... I'm a bit illiterate on these techie issues
I am aware that retailers will do their best to sell me the highest priced option they have though.
What particular card (up to about $160) would be compatible with my motherboard and which would be the best to use (IYHO)
It's not much good me getting a great card and then finding it won't fit or is a terrible choice for my system.
Originally, there was a 9250 agp card fitted from new but that has been removed (wasn't working!):badpc:

As far as the software goes, it's only Ulead Photo Impact that is the hog on the memory but thats normal for this program. It's what I learnt on and still prefer it to PSP as a graphics program but mainly use Xara Xtreme Pro (All day, every day:thumbs: )
In my opinion the fastest most powerful vector graphics software available anywhere (and at a very low price)

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 06:02 PM
In my opinion the fastest most powerful vector graphics software available anywhere (and at a very low price)

I take it you never tried Freehand (now discontinued).

minster
10-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I take it you never tried Freehand (now discontinued).

To be honest No! but have read a lot of the reviews that Adobe and Corel users give Xtreme after they try it.
Remember this is only my opinion but on value for money, I will stay with Xara:thumbs:

Would prefer to keep this thread on my upgrade?

chiefnz
10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Well from what I know and the way pricing is going these maybe the cards you would have to look at.

1) GeForce 6600 AGP
2) Radeon X1550 AGP
3) GeForce 7600GS AGP (might be priced just on $155+ GST) but a good buy still.
4) GeForce 6200 AGP

Most of these cards should fall within your budget... I would personally go for the 7600GS, it might be a little more pricey at about $175.00 incl GST but it is well worth the extra dosh and would serve your purposes well.

Cheers

minster
10-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Thank you very much Chief:thumbs:
That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Will now search price spy with a bit more education!
Thanks again:D

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Would prefer to keep this thread on my upgrade?

No problems, I was just curious.